Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
This was on a 2018 12.9 iPP. Libraries just vanished for 4 attached hard drives, although all of the media was in place, unmodified. I thought - maybe it’s the beta software, D’oh. So I disconnected that iPP and connected a new 12.9 iPP running stock iPadOS 17.5.1(?) and nope, libraries still gone.

So I completely uninstalled the Plex software from an MBA and uninstalled the web access software from all iPads, had to do some terminal commands on the MBA, rebooted, etc. Can’t install Plex at all. So now I’m thinking the problem is with the MBA. Gave up b/c it was Sunday evening and Canadian football time.

Sometime today I’ll dig a 2021 iMac out of the closet and connect some of the external hard drives and see if they can access the media via the Plex interface.

It’s kinda difficult o exactly pinpoint the problem since everything is running the beta software. Only thing left normal os the closeted iMac and an external SSD that’s never been connect to any of my iPads, MBA or hub attached to any iPad/MBA.

As always, I did it to myself. Every single Bowery Boys, Dead End Kids, East Side Boys, Little Tough Guys, Abbott & Costello, 3 Stooges & original Twilight Zone > went to the cornfield (Twilight Zone reference).

Shrug, at least the media appears issue free. Time is all I think will be required to fix and perhaps a few more betas

Tom

Oh yeah….Stage Manager is….improper. I could never, b/c of hardware limitations, move a window/app from the 2018 iPP and now I can’t on Mx iPads. Knock on wood - at least an iPhone 15 PM only has one problem so far; the inability to use portrait mode in ProCamera17.3.3 (full version, everything purchased/unlocked). Portrait mode stillworks on a 12.9 iPP running 17.5.1(?)

Or maybe it was one of 4 cats. Who knows what those traitors do when I’m asleep?

Reactions: StoneJack

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Gilligan’s Island (all+movies)
X-Files (all+movies)
Supernatural
The Walking Dead
Fear the Walking Dead
Z-Nation
Land of the Giants
Chucky
American Horror Story
Have Gun WillTravel
The Honeymooners
& Terabytes of old time radio shows (grrrr to 500+ episodes of Fibber McGee & Molly)

Ooh, so much to reorganize. Will try extracting the library files from a CCC backup and see if it magically works.

DepressedTom

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I’m sorry, but I have to ask: why would you put beta 1 on your ipad and then use it with that kind of setup. It’s almost like asking for trouble.

Reactions: mikecwest

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
I’m sorry, but I have to ask: why would you put beta 1 on your ipad and then use it with that kind of setup. It’s almost like asking for trouble.
No, it wasn‘t on my iPad, it was on a 16gb M1 Macbook Air that I applied MacOS beta to. That was what probably toasted my library. Perhaps the beta on the iPadOS or iPhone on IOs beta made the Plex web app unable to read the libraries. The 2024 IPP is running stock iPadOS.whatever the newest non beta is.

I’ve got hourly backups from Carbon Copy Cloner of the M1 MBA. Should I be unable to recover my libraries or anything else that I find, panicking , I can’t access, I’ll restore the CCC backup most recently prior to the beta upgrade and I’m ‘fairly’ sure I’ll recover everything.

If not, I’ll strt over at some point.

I leep my important stuff (basically financial, legal and dialysis related files and documents) backed up as documents and zip files on iCloud and the new iPad. The most important; a few hundred Goodnotes files and 30-40 PDFs are safe.

The gospel of Homer Simpson my friend; act first, think never.
’
So, medical retirement.

Tom

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
The Plex server was on a 16gb M1 MBA: That had beta MacOS applied after I verified the integrity of an hourly Carbon Copy Cloner backup. After I get home from dialysis today, I’m going to restore the most recent hourly backups from and ….see.

The Plex web access software was installed on 2018 IPP (beta), 2023 iPhone 15 PM and *not* on a 2024 IPP.

My ‘important’ stuff; 5.75 years of dialysis notes in Goodnotes format and years of legal & financial documents (PDFs) are on iCloud, the new IPP and as zip files on iCloud and an external SSD that has never had anything to do with Plex/Beta. And I made sure I could access the files on the SSD via the 2024 IPP before I went ahead.

Nah, no problem in asking why; what I consider important is safe and accessible. I moved halfway across North America to escape from my, ah Covid spewing family in a large city to an extremely rural location in Nova Scotia where I have property and can actually walk outside without encountering virusy people (compromised immune system).

Just have a *lottttttt* of free time. And yep, asking for trouble is about right. No disagreement from me there.

Tom

edit: 27+ years of animal science research where I was responsible for euthanizing animals has left me with PTSD. I’m not currently under psychological treatment for it and the closest medical centre I gp to frequently runs out of the specific PTSD meds I use b/c American summer tourists from the gulf ferry buy great gobs of the stuff.

I was taught to start doing something I like if I wake up with nightmares relating to my previous work. So in the middle of the night I stagger over to my computing area, grab some sugary garbage food, coffee and then just start messing around on the computers.iPads/etc. Frequently treat myself to a next day wtf? So there ya have it; mtive, availability and opportunity 😅🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: gwhizkids

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Do you own licenses for all these movies?
I have medically diagnosed obsessive compulsive disorder and money. Yes. It takes a lot of time to buy,categorize and store stuff away never to be used or watched. Some shows (Gilligan’s Island. Original Twilight Zone & X-Files) I’ve watched a sickening number of times.

Rich? No, just a biochemistry lab technician who got paid well and is now collecting multiple disability pensions. Buying stuff that I don’t use isn’t the issue 😕.

On some level I suppose I enjoy this. 2000+ hours on Civ VI says so 🫤
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.