Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivor Bigunn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Hi!

I just wanted to say that the Quick Look feature in the iPadOS Beta release is the most powerful video playing software I have encountered for the iPad pro, and I have used VLC, OPlayer HD, etc.

I say this because you can pinch any video to zoom in, using 2 fingers, and then drag the zoomed window to any part of the full video frame. I have not seen that ability in any other player!

regards

IB

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
NPlayer definitely allows you to do this. And I’ve used a few others in the past that have allowed this too. I know a lot don’t though.

Reactions: masotime

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Hi!

I just wanted to say that the Quick Look feature in the iPadOS Beta release is the most powerful video playing software I have encountered for the iPad pro, and I have used VLC, OPlayer HD, etc.

I say this because you can pinch any video to zoom in, using 2 fingers, and then drag the zoomed window to any part of the full video frame. I have not seen that ability in any other player!

regards

IB

I do not have the iPad OD installed so cannot see it, Can you post a video of that doing that ? Would appreciate it !

Ivor Bigunn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Well i tried to make a video as requested, but as you see, i am not much of a videographer.!!

This iz a simple phone video of the ipad screen. All zooming and panning is by Files App Quick Look.

I also realise that Files will not play AVI and WMV files, so i guess it is like Quicktime.

IB

Reactions: augustya

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I also realise that Files will not play AVI and WMV files, so i guess it is like Quicktime.

Yeah there's a pretty large class of files that iOS will not play by default - it's a big part of the reason why I still prefer to use a third-party player like nPlayer.

Ivor Bigunn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Hi!
Well I see that masotime is correct! NPlayer has this feature also.

I had to test it myself, as the developer does not seem to mention it anywhere.

and nPlayer is not free.

so I still think that this is a cool feature for Files App to have.

On a related subject, does anyone know the real difference between hardware and software playback?? I see no difference in quality, but I guess hardware uses less resources??

rgds

IB

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
On a related subject, does anyone know the real difference between hardware and software playback?? I see no difference in quality, but I guess hardware uses less resources??

Hardware playback definitely uses less resources - this matters most when playing videos that use the resource-intensive codec HEVC / h265 / x265. For AVC / h264 videos, the resource usage is not significant even for software playback.

To clarify - "hardware" means that the device (i.e. iPad) will use a specialized hardware inside the microprocessor to decode the compressed video, instead of software which relies on generic hardware to do processing.

You'll definitely run into issues if you try to e.g. playback HEVC 4k 60fps content using software playback - this is particularly true for GoPRO Hero 7 Black 4K60 footage.

The Quicktime / iOS built-in player will playback GoPro files mentioned above using Hardware by default anyway - you don't need nPlayer for that, but if you have e.g. MKV files with HEVC, you're going to need a third party player.

Ivor Bigunn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
ok thanks. That is very clear.

But one other big advantage of the Files App as a video player is that it can play mp4 videos directly off a USB stick, or a externally-powered hard disk, which a Player App cannot. You would have to copy the files into the Player App with the Files App first.

regards

IB

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
ok thanks. That is very clear.

But one other big advantage of the Files App as a video player is that it can play mp4 videos directly off a USB stick, or a externally-powered hard disk, which a Player App cannot.

regards

IB

That will likely change with wider adoption of iPadOS on its official release. I use nPlayer - my favorite - & Infuse to stream video from wireless-attached storage (NAS, FileHub, etc). I like the additional control over audio (e.g., sound boost) and video (e.g., saturation) that they provide.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
That will likely change with wider adoption of iPadOS on its official release. I use nPlayer - my favorite - & Infuse to stream video from wireless-attached storage (NAS, FileHub, etc). I like the additional control over audio (e.g., sound boost) and video (e.g., saturation) that they provide.

That will definitely change. I already have it in my own apps - it’s very easy to do, in fact, I don’t think they’ll need to do anything but rebuild against iOS 13 given that most of them handle things like this already.

Ivor Bigunn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
That is a valid point that sparksd and 007p make. I understood from the Apple announcement that they will allow ipad apps to work with files in "other" locations, not only sandboxed.

But then won't an ipad effectively have a File System??

Rgds

IB

That will definitely change. I already have it in my own apps - it’s very easy to do, in fact, I don’t think they’ll need to do anything but rebuild against iOS 13 given that most of them handle things like this already.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
But then won't an ipad effectively have a File System??

The iPad has always had a filesystem - iOS is based on Unix - jailbroken iOS devices have direct access to the underlying filesystem (I know because I used to jailbreak my iPad).

What's changed is the degree of access that Apple has allowed developers to access externally mounted volumes. Normally it's so tightly sandboxed that you need to copy files over directly to each App's sandbox, but with the Share sheet / actions, and iOS 13, apps will be able to directly access files on external drives.

All this is a good thing. Apple tried all sorts of ways like AirDrop / iCloud to share files, but it made for really awkward workflows. This direct access is still the better way for most people with external drives, and improves the workflow vastly for the iPad Pros with USB-C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.