Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philliez98

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Southeastern PA
My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, however, I did not see it when searching and also for my long post. I tend to be a bit detailed when writing.

For anyone testing out the new iPadOS 16 Beta: Are you able to use stage manger while using the iPad in vertical (portrait) mode? Does the windows (apps) resizing work the same way as if you have your iPad in landscape mode?

Also, when in portrait mode, can you have top-bottom mode with safari or any other apps? For example, if I wanted to browse MacRumors website on the bottom portion of the screen while playing a video in the top portion of the screen.

My dilemma: I have an iPad 11” 2018, iPad 12.9 2020 and an iPad Mini 6 and none have the M1 chip, so I won’t be able to test out the new stage manager features. However, if the betas continue to refine this new multitasking mode and if you are able to have top-bottom window support, I would very much consider selling the 11” and 12.9” for this feature.

Thank you in advance for reading!

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I saw someone showing it briefly in a video on YouTube. And since you can resize and move windows around, I'm guessing you can have one window on the bottom and one on the top.

dangquybk

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2022
Yes. iPadOS 16’s Vertical windows arrangement and display scaling are the two changes I love most.
Here are 2 screenshots for your reference (with Dock and Side bar turn off)

Two Safari windows (watching videos in full screen mode)
D2016B9B-6F9C-4D31-B0F4-FF42B3A913D8.jpeg

Documents and Kindle windows
78057B72-AE4F-4D52-901B-A69001EA1C07.png

Last edited:

philliez98

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Southeastern PA
That’s excellent! Thank you @dangquybk for the images and explanation. Glad to know this is an option.

Now I have to ponder the thought of possibly selling an 11” & 12.9” for an M1 or M2 iPad or possibly wait for the next refresh which isn’t until the fall, at the earliest. Really had hoped apple would have enabled this for all Pro models of the iPad (or at least some if the newer generations) but I guess that wasn’t in the cards.

Reactions: dangquybk

Enoughoops

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2022
Thanks @dangquybk for the samples.

Actually, I 'm more curios about whether "external display support" working on portrait-mode-monitor.
Meaningful when glancing throw long text content like web posts or articles etc.

Has anybody tried that out?🧤

dangquybk

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2022
Thanks @dangquybk for the samples.

Actually, I 'm more curios about whether "external display support" working on portrait-mode-monitor.
Meaningful when glancing throw long text content like web posts or articles etc.

Has anybody tried that out?
I tried, but there is no option to rotate the external display 90deg, so for now, only horizontal display.

On the other hand, external keyboard is not working properly with windows on an external display (for example, cannot type texts properly - the keyboard works again if move back the window to the iPad display).
It seems currently there is no keyboard shortcut or gesture to move the windows between iPad screen and an external display.

Last edited:

AnotherScott

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2006
Thanks for posting those pics, dangquybk. My unexpected disappointment with split views was that you could not place two horizontal windows on a portrait iPad Pro just as you illustrated there. I wanted a vertical iPad Pro to be able to run two apps, having each one appear basically the way it would appear on a horizontal iPad Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.