Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntlman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Has anyone had issues where the new iPhones/iOS 13 no longer sends enough power to external USB devices to properly run when connected via the Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Kit?

I have a Dragonfly Black USB DAC. I use it to connect to my iPhone and iPad via the Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera kit connector (the one that also allows charging). On my previous iPhone 6, I had no issues plugging the Dragonfly into the iPhone via the connector kit and being able to draw enough power from the iPhone 6 battery to fully use the DAC.

I recently replaced the iPhone 6 with an 11, and now I am not able to use the full capabilities of the DAC (upsampling bit rates of music files) without plugging in a power cord into the connector kit. This effectively makes this unusable on a plane without also plugging in a power pack as well. This is, to put it mildly, eff-ing dumb and user hostile.

Gonzbull

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2015
I know it’s not the same but my iPhone 7Plus works fine with Dragonfly Black 1.5 . Do you have the older version Dragonfly?

ntlman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
I know it’s not the same but my iPhone 7Plus works fine with Dragonfly Black 1.5 . Do you have the older version Dragonfly?
Hi Gonzbull, thanks for responding.

I see now that Dragonfly had a firmware update available on August 1, but I'm pretty sure I didn't yet install it. I just replaced my iPhone 6 last month, and it probably didn't need the firmware update since my 6 was stuck on iOS 12. I will install the new firmware update at home later today and post my findings. Thanks!

Last edited:

ntlman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
10/25 UPDATE: Well, my firmware on my Dragonfly 1.5 black was already up to date, as it turns out. But after force quitting the app and unplugging the USB to Lightning connector back into my iPhone a couple times, I finally got it to work. I can't say I'm very happy about that, and hope that is not a precursor to my future user experience.

#AudiophiliaForeverBluetoothNever

Gonzbull

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2015
Glad it works now. Just for your info I always have the Dragonfly plugged into the CCK before I connect it to the phone. I also use a lightning cable extender as I hate the bulk hanging off my phone.

ntlman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Glad it works now. Just for your info I always have the Dragonfly plugged into the CCK before I connect it to the phone. I also use a lightning cable extender as I hate the bulk hanging off my phone.
Huh, it never even occurred to me to get a lightning cable extender, even though I've had one for regular USB-A cables for years. I hate the same issue with the bulk hanging off my phone, and will now check out Amazon. Thanks!

Reactions: Gonzbull
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.