Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ei_z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
I’ve had my iPhone 11 Pro since Christmas 2019 and the battery health is already on 88% which is quite worrying as I had an iPhone 7 for 3 years before that and the battery health for that was 87%, is there something wrong with my battery or are my charging habits shocking??

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
That is weird as I got a new 7+ at that same time and mines 98%. I guess it just depends how much you use it. I wouldn’t worry either way as it’s only 50 bucks for a new battery anyway. I personally wouldn’t think anything is wrong with the phone itself. I would guess possibly the battery maybe.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
1. How do you use your phone?
- Does this include using while charging?
- Does the phone get too hot while charging (and using)?
- How often do you charge your phone?

2. It might be that this is not you but the phone, and the phone should be within a warranty period right now, so you can go for a free replacement once it dunks below 85 or 80 percent, I forget what is the threshold Apple sets.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
As mentioned in a previous post there seem to be a couple of widely accepted do's and don'ts as far as charging and maintaining the Lithium Ion battery.
I am not for a minute suggesting that the condition of your iPhone 11 battery is your fault, it sounds like it might be faulty but here are the "rules" and a couple of handy articles on the topic.

Here are the general rules for prolonging the life of a lithium battery.

- Never allow it to charge to 100% unless you are going to use it immediately.

- Never store at 100% charge.

- Never store at less than 30% charge.

- Never leave on the charger all the time (this is more for MacBooks). Lithium batteries last longer if you use them rather than run off the charger all the time.

xboxer75010

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
Carrollton, TX
As mentioned in a previous post there seem to be a couple of widely accepted do's and don'ts as far as charging and maintaining the Lithium Ion battery.
I am not for a minute suggesting that the condition of your iPhone 11 battery is your fault, it sounds like it might be faulty but here are the "rules" and a couple of handy articles on the topic.

Here are the general rules for prolonging the life of a lithium battery.

- Never allow it to charge to 100% unless you are going to use it immediately.

- Never store at 100% charge.

- Never store at less than 30% charge.

- Never leave on the charger all the time (this is more for MacBooks). Lithium batteries last longer if you use them rather than run off the charger all the time.

I agree, however I don’t follow most of these rules, I try but it’s hard. The only one that I truly follow is never let phone go below 20%. When I trade in my phones after a year I am usually at 98% battery health, I truly believe running it down to 0% is what is worse for the battery.

gbf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2019
I’m leaving Apple! I got this phone day of launch and treat it like my son!

Attachments

• 1A66CC53-E157-4786-A95B-6999CF1EF5E4.png
    1A66CC53-E157-4786-A95B-6999CF1EF5E4.png
    494.3 KB · Views: 2,797

Luke10702

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2017
92% battery health here. had my iphone 11 pro since october last year. might get it replaced once it’s under 90.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I’m leaving Apple! I got this phone day of launch and treat it like my son!

I have followed my batteries' capacities with excel spreadsheets - using software tools to monitor their health, capacity vs design capacity on almost a weekly basis for many many years now. (A hobby of mine).

My Samsung Note 3 lost 55% of its design capacity in 6 months of ownership. Thankfully, back then, you could just pop off the plastic back and pop in a new battery. My Nexus 6 did not fare ... much better.

My iPhones (5, 6+, 6s+, 8+, Xs Max, and 11 Pro Max) have all come from the factory with varying amounts of design capacity vs actual capacity. My 6+ actually came from the factory with almost 10% more capacity than design capacity. My 6s+ came from the factory at 96% - and stayed that way for almost 1.5 years. Both my Xs Max and 11 Pro Max came about 100-200mAh over design capacity and stayed 100% after a year of usage.

I'm a light user of my phones. My wife gets the same exact phone that I do, so I have a comparison as she is a very heavy user of her phone. She has to charge her phone twice as often as I do and usually has 2-3x the charge cycles I do after 1-2 years of usage. (She's already passed me 2x in charging cycles on our 11 Pro Max).

Battery health is dictated by how you use your phone, how far you drain it, if you let it get super hot (in the sun), and various other factors.

Even though my wife has 2x the cycles, her battery health is usually within a few % of mine. (Don't leave your phone in a hot car, try to keep it >20%, don't leave it at 100% for long periods of time, etc).

Having observed batteries across different manufacturers, Apple's batteries are usually significantly higher quality than others in my experience.

If I can, I try to keep my batteries between 40-80% these days.

Good luck with wherever your path takes you!

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My iPhone 11 Pro Max. Design Capacity is 3966mAh. I usually try to measure the mAh when at 100% charge. On 7/2/2020 and today I measured at about 75% charge hence the slightly lower readings I believe.

1601222762875.png

Reactions: Boyyai

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
I think a lot depends on how you use it, how much you use it and probably charging habits. I and my step daughter both got iPhone 7+ phones for Xmas last year (19). They were both new in box old stock. Her battery was crap from the get go. I took hers to an Apple store and had a brand new oem battery installed. Her battery currently is at 89% mine is at 97%. She probably uses it more and I know for a fact her phone is always practically dead so she charges it less. I always thought that practice was better but I’m not so sure anymore as I am much more fanatical. I’m freaking out if my phone hits 50% charge. Mine is almost always above 80%. Maybe replacing the battery to begin with in her phone had something to do with it?? I mean it was an oem battery but it just often seems when you replace something it’s never as good as factory installed?? Possible but maybe actually not having the battery always drained really increases it’s life ??

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I think a lot depends on how you use it, how much you use it and probably charging habits. I and my step daughter both got iPhone 7+ phones for Xmas last year (19). They were both new in box old stock. Her battery was crap from the get go. I took hers to an Apple store and had a brand new oem battery installed. Her battery currently is at 89% mine is at 97%. She probably uses it more and I know for a fact her phone is always practically dead so she charges it less. I always thought that practice was better but I’m not so sure anymore as I am much more fanatical. I’m freaking out if my phone hits 50% charge. Mine is almost always above 80%. Maybe replacing the battery to begin with in her phone had something to do with it?? I mean it was an oem battery but it just often seems when you replace something it’s never as good as factory installed?? Possible but maybe actually not having the battery always drained really increases it’s life ??

Having the battery <20% for long periods of time and letting it die (run to shutoff) is hard on the battery. Batteries today handle 100% charge a lot better than they used to in the past, that and at >80% charge, you're almost always trickle charging your battery - which is less stress than charging at full 18w.

I know when I was traveling like crazy for work, it was not uncommon to see iPhones at 10% (red) right before people boarded planes - taking up every outlet with their 5w chargers. I saw a LOT of this. I imagine this doesn't abode well for battery health.

Like you, my phone usually spends most of its time between 80-100%. I RARELY let it get below 60% and can end a day at 85%.

After 2 years my phone usually has a few % better battery health than my wife who uses her phone a lot more but she doesn't let it run out till it dies.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
Having the battery 80% charge, you're almost always trickle charging your battery - which is less stress than charging at full 18w.

I know when I was traveling like crazy for work, it was not uncommon to see iPhones at 10% (red) right before people boarded planes - taking up every outlet with their 5w chargers. I saw a LOT of this. I imagine this doesn't abode well for battery health.

Like you, my phone usually spends most of its time between 80-100%. I RARELY let it get below 60% and can end a day at 85%.

After 2 years my phone usually has a few % better battery health than my wife who uses her phone a lot more but she doesn't let it run out till it dies.

Makes sense as that is the one big difference between the two phones is I don’t let mine run down and she hardly charges hers.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
Mine is still 100%. Bought in launch day - iPhone 11 PRO. Normal usage. I don't use wireless charger as my battery gets warm which impacts the battery (This is what happened with my iPhone X. From 100% to 96 after three months of using wireless charger). I don't use the 18w charger, but the 12w charger I originally got from my iPad. My background refresh is off and i charge my phone when it gets 20%. I don't let my phone dies and have 0%. Then charge it to 99% or 100%. i don't leave it to the charger overnight or longer once it gets to 100%. This is what I usually do to maintain my battery.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: phillytim

Marven

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
iphone 11 since launch - 88% battery :( someone with these numbers after year ?
Hey! Same problem. I got my iPhone 11 last year’s October. And now it’s at 88% battery health. Been taking good care of this phone and didn’t let it go down below 20%. Light user as well.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Currently 97%, been using it hard since end of September 2019.

Location & photo apps take a lot of juice; so I'm happy about my iPhone 11 Pro Max's current capacity.

I keep Background Refresh OFF completely.

Charge it up to 100% and may keep it on the charger a while longer sometimes; but never overnight.

I try to run the battery down to 20% on occasion.

Using an iPad charger, for faster charge; no wireless charging.

joloriquelme

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2018
Santiago, Chile
iPhone 11 Pro Max bought almost exactly one year ago (November 19, 2019).

91% health.

It has been mainly charged with the fast charger and cable included in the box during the 4 months of pandemic lockout. But, I also make heavy use of wired CarPlay before and after that time in my Mazda due to several trips a day (I work at various locations). I get in and out of the car 5-6 times a day, always plugging the phone on and off when I do.

Due to that use and poor battery care (not at all, in fact), I think 0.75% monthly wear is fine. My old 6s Plus also had this level of use and after 3 years I changed the battery using the service program.

Anyway, maybe now I'm going to start taking more care of my battery. ?

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
After 14.2 update my battery is now 99%. Bought since launch day. It was previously 100% in 14.1. Not bad considering it’s more than 1 year already.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I am not able to understand the battery life degradation. On my iPhone X it was pretty linear over time - 8-10% / year, OTOH my 7 plus depleted fast initially, but has since flattened out at 87% for the last 8 months. I dont baby the phone, I use it heavily with no battery optimization settings enabled. The screen time I get out of it is pretty terrible especially over LTE, but it has remained consistent and has not worsened since hitting 87%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.