Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
Hello everyone!

I upgraded from a XS to the 12 mini, and honestly I have been underwhelmed at the difference between the two phones. As I was transferring my data, I realized that I preferred a few things about the XS:

• The feel in hand (stainless steel, rounded)
  • Display (color profile and less AMOLED tearing and grain at low brightness)
  • Price
That being said; I'm curious what you all have found are some of the 'little things' that make you not look back after having upgraded to a more modern iPhone. Things I have in mind are:
  • Ceramic Shield?
  • Future self-repair program with Apple?
I want to justify my investment in the 12 mini and feel good about it; because I can easily find another XS for $250 on eBay and sell my 12 mini for double that.

In summary, why are you enjoying your newer iPhone and why would you not consider an older phone again?

Reactions: Haamur and three

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
A major thing for me is always the camera, but I‘m not sure how much that matters to you. As far as I‘m aware, the camera quality improved massively with the 11, so that should be something worthwhile.

Outside of that, why have you bought it? Is the form factor not an improvement for you? You mentioned that it feels less comfortable, but it should still be more easily handleable.

MagSafe could also potentially be a neat little feature. I‘ve only used it in combination with a new car mount, but it‘s a way nicer mechanism than traditional clamping.

Reactions: three and ZircoBen

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
“Quality of Life Improvements” comparing an older iPhone model to a newer one will be dependent upon where you came from and where you went.
Anything from the X onwards to the 13 is basically a little refinement in the big picture. Not much life changing improvement going on.

But if you go back farther and start earlier, the improvements made over the iPhone 6 (for example) are definitely life changing for the better and a HUGE improvement over that crippled thing.

Example:
iPhone 6 Plus > iPhone 8 Plus = HUGE upgrade and definitely a life changing improvement since the 8 Plus is so much faster than the 6 Plus.

But after that quantum leap back in 2017 after three generations, the tactile day to day improvements of newer iPhones has been a lot more subtle.

I don’t think we will ever see 6>8 improvements ever again because the 6 was strangled by limited RAM and a slow processor.
Everything since the X has been a high performance smartphone.

Reactions: snipr125 and three

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Normally, I am all about older technology. I am typing this on a 2009 MacPro upgraded to a 5,1 running Mojave. I own a variety of older Macs (a PowerMac G3 is my home server).

But with phones I prefer to be as up to date as possible (if I am not jailbroken). However, I keep my old phones and do not sell them on. With the exception of the iPhone 6+ I have every phone I've used since 2009.

I love using my older phones, but I do try to keep them updated as far as they can go.

A minor, thing, but here is the difference in how iOS 15.3 is being updated to 15.3.1 on my iPhone 11 Pro Max (left) and my iPhone 6s+ (right). Photo taken with my Pixel 3a XL.

2022-02-12 11.22.25-1.jpg

I prefer how it's being done on my 11PM.

I prefer being as current as I can when it comes to phones.

Reactions: ZircoBen and three

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
Anything from the X onwards to the 13 is basically a little refinement in the big picture. Not much life changing improvement going on.

But after that quantum leap back in 2017 after three generations, the tactile day to day improvements of newer iPhones has been a lot more subtle.
I think this is a great point, we need to keep our expectations in line and not expect a 'quantum leap' so often with our phones. Owning a X/XS is going to give you the same base experience as any new iPhone, just in a slower and diluted form?

A major thing for me is always the camera, but I‘m not sure how much that matters to you. As far as I‘m aware, the camera quality improved massively with the 11, so that should be something worthwhile.

Outside of that, why have you bought it? Is the form factor not an improvement for you? You mentioned that it feels less comfortable, but it should still be more easily handleable.

MagSafe could also potentially be a neat little feature. I‘ve only used it in combination with a new car mount, but it‘s a way nicer mechanism than traditional clamping.
These are all great points!! To me personally, the camera basically doesn't matter at all. The most use it gets is when I post items on eBay, lol. I've been more happy with the quality of iPhone cameras since the iPhone 5S.

The form factor is something I am attracted to in the 12 mini. It fits perfect in the hands, but it doesn't have the satisfying solidity and weight of the XS. But at the end of the day, the phone will have a case on it anyway and the size of the 12 mini is so satisfying.

The cost of entry into the MagSafe charging ecosystem has kept me out for now, but that is a great point and something to enjoy on the newer iPhones.

Reactions: prazakj and three

Haamur

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2021
466A0E45-D773-48E3-B33E-E774AC38F101.jpeg
I have 13 mini and I had 13 and 13 pro but Iphone XS is still my all time favourite Iphone and my daily driver. Just replaced the battery. Its still in mint condition 😊

Last edited:

snowleopard13

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
Austria
I pretty much had every form factor iPhone since the 3G. Loved my iPhone X the most, but decided to switch to the 13 mini since it would be the last mini, current specs and i thought i liked smaller phones. So for the last 8 months i used that phone daily. Anytime i saw my old X in my mom's hands though i envied her for that gorgeous OLED Screen with perfect dimensions and those beautiful rounded stainless steel corners.

Fast forward to today: I put up my iPhone 13 mini for sale, as i activated my iPhone XS that i bought used for 250€ in mint condition with double the space from my mini.

IMHO the iPhone X/XS will be the best form factor for a long time coming. For me it is even the best Design ever in an iPhone. I will hold onto my XS dearly probably until iPhones have rounded corners again. xD

tldr: iPhone XS > iPhone 13 mini

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I pretty much had every form factor iPhone since the 3G. Loved my iPhone X the most, but decided to switch to the 13 mini since it would be the last mini, current specs and i thought i liked smaller phones. So for the last 8 months i used that phone daily. Anytime i saw my old X in my mom's hands though i envied her for that gorgeous OLED Screen with perfect dimensions and those beautiful rounded stainless steel corners.

Fast forward to today: I put up my iPhone 13 mini for sale, as i activated my iPhone XS that i bought used for 250€ in mint condition with double the space from my mini.

IMHO the iPhone X/XS will be the best form factor for a long time coming. For me it is even the best Design ever in an iPhone. I will hold onto my XS dearly probably until iPhones have rounded corners again. xD

tldr: iPhone XS > iPhone 13 mini
Its a shame Apple dropped the 5.8" X/XS/11 Pro chassis, this would have been a perfect option for Mini owners as a compromise for dropping the iPhone Mini, but alas no, those who liked the 5.4 and 5.8 inch screens now have no other option but the 6.1" size (ugh!).

Haamur

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2021
Battery life is also much improved after iOS updates. I Just got 9h 40min SOT with one charge, while using a WiFi and dark mode.

3uTools shows that my replacement battery capacity is actually 2867mah instead of original 2658mah?

Last edited:

Haamur

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2021
12E76063-EBCE-462A-A163-E470C40FA199.jpeg

Perfect phone with perfect case and edge-to-edge tempered glass? Can't stop using it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.