Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Hi there,
First post on this forum.
I'm super interested in buying the 12 mini as the price drops when the iPhone 13 comes out. What is the likelihood of Apple selling the 12 mini alongside the 13 series?

I'm wondering what the battery life is when 5G is disabled on the 12 Mini? Has anyone tested this? I tried finding reviews on this but most websites don't mention this or are testing with the 5G radio on. I'm wondering if the battery is better without 5G?

My carrier is LTE only with a speed cap of 3 Mbps. I'm in Canada with Lucky Mobile.

Last edited:

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Welcome Apple$. Apple most likely will sell the regular iphone 12's discounted alongside the Iphone 13 range.

I immediately turned off 5G on my 12 mini, and have kept it on 4G only as i just have no need what so ever for 5G right now, despite my carrier trying to push it on me. I get good battery life, but i can imagine 5G would seriously hurt the 12 mini battery life, but maybe others can chime in on this who actually use it.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
I don't think Apple will sell the 12 series anymore. This year is a not so big change and they haven't sold flagship series the following year for a long time. Since the 8 I think and even then the 8 series wasn't flagship, the X was. Only less expensive, different HW iPhones like 11 were sold after their season.

99,9% they will cancel the 12 series and only sell iPhone 13 series. But you will get the 12 line brand new and sealed from many sites, even now amazon still sells the 11 Pro series f.e.. And then you will get bigger discounts then already out there.

I had only tested it in the beginning of 12 Mini release and battery life was a bit better then "automatic on", but it was like 10% in a day I think. Can't remember for sure. But the 5G speed I get instead is worth 10% imo. So yeah, definitely more battery life. But 5G shows so much even in smaller towns that I don't wanna turned it off anymore.

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome Apple$. Apple most likely will sell the regular iphone 12's discounted alongside the Iphone 13 range.

I immediately turned off 5G on my 12 mini, and have kept it on 4G only as i just have no need what so ever for 5G right now, despite my carrier trying to push it on me. I get good battery life, but i can imagine 5G would seriously hurt the 12 mini battery life, but maybe others can chime in on this who actually use it.

Honestly I think this year is where Apple will NOT continue the 12 mini when the 13 mini debuts.
It would still have to compete with:
Xr
iPhone SE 2020
Even if they neuter the storage size from 256 down to 64/128GB the price point will not make much sense. Priced to high people will ignore it, priced too low why would people buy the 13 mini? Something has gotta give.

^ unless either of these (Xr/SE 2020) are gone when the iPhone 13 series launches the 12 mini will sell off in stores if that, but we’ll see.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't think Apple will sell the 12 series anymore. This year is a not so big change and they haven't sold flagship series the following year for a long time. Since the 8 I think and even then the 8 series wasn't flagship, the X was. Only less expensive, different HW iPhones like 11 were sold after their season.

Um, iPhone 11 Pro is still sold,
iPhone Xr still sold,
iPhone 8 still sold,
iPhone 7 still sold,
iPhone 6S,
iPhone 6,
iPhone 5s …. Yeah ALL flagships all sold the next year.

Heck even with the iPhone 4 the 3GS continued to sell, just like the 3G was sold as the 3GS launched.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Those are not officially sold. I wrote about Apple selling them, online or in their stores. The only phone still sold which has a successor in the current lineup is the XR.

Of course you can buy old iPhones new from third party sellers, but not from Apple directly. And they won't keep the 12 line in their OFFICIAL lineup, I am 99,9% sure of that. Maybe the 13 Mini with the 14 lineup because it won't get a successor.

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
The 12 will stay in the lineup. But not the mini and Pro models.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
My money is on them discontinuing the sale of the 12 Mini. Otherwise, why would they have halted production?

It's possible OP may be able to get one on clearance once the 13's are out.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My money is on them discontinuing the sale of the 12 Mini. Otherwise, why would they have halted production?

It's possible OP may be able to get one on clearance once the 13's are out.
Apple at many times has halted production of a product current year to meet needs of demand & adjust accordingly; Cook wrote the book on production efficiencies according to scale. And they’re the best at it.

do you really think Apple is in the units per sold game?! Hmm?! Ye try to temp fools yet the jester forgotten Apple is all about asp n profits as their marketshare is still non fully dominant in all but two market segments: other & wearables specifically.

Reactions: snipr125

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Those are not officially sold. I wrote about Apple selling them, online or in their stores. The only phone still sold which has a successor in the current lineup is the XR.

Of course you can buy old iPhones new from third party sellers, but not from Apple directly. And they won't keep the 12 line in their OFFICIAL lineup, I am 99,9% sure of that. Maybe the 13 Mini with the 14 lineup because it won't get a successor.
When did you write about this? I went back five pages of your posts didn’t find what you’re hinting at. Must’ve been a few months back maybe??

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Hmmm. Sorry, don't understand the question really...

I wrote in your quote "Apple won't sell 12 line anymore", post was written some time ago about 12 line after a 13 line release of course. That is also what I meant exactly. I haven't said "you can't buy these models anymore", just that Apple won't sell them anymore (officially) after a 13 release on their website/stores. Of course I don't know for sure, I don't work at Apple, just my opinion.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Yorkshire Lad

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
Leeds
It's probably that Apple won't sell the 12 mini if they have four 13/12S models introduced. That said, I'm looking at unboxed SE first editions on eBay so there is always unsold stock floating around. Almost everything is cheaper than buying from Apple, even official Apple stuff.

That said: we know there will be four models apparently later this year but it could be a 12 mini, 13, 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max. There's nothing to say that the 12 mini would get a spec bump to be a 13 mini...

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
I think they keep at least the regular 12 in the lineup so there’s an “older” OLED option available for less than the new 13 series. Then with the SE, LCD 11, and maybe one of the 11 or 12 pro models still being sold as well.

13 Models
12 Regular (OLED)
11 Regular (LCD)
11/12 Pro Model
SE (Small Phone)

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I agree with Apple_Robert . . . the energy needed to reach-out to a cell tower plays more a part to battery life than whether it's 4/5/6G

I never notice a reduction is battery life while on 5G/Auto, but I do notice an increased-draw on power when I'm {relatively} removed from a Tower.

"5G" for me is more a matter of latency than signal.

Regards, splifingate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.