Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kittonian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
I have a client who is a disaster when it comes to tech stuff, and he cracked his iPhone 8's screen. So, he went and purchased a brand new iPhone 12 and I backed up the old phone, updated the OS to 15.2 on the new phone and restored from backup. Everything works fine now, except that his music will not sync. I have tried everything I can think of, but no luck.

I thought maybe it was an old/new device both signed into iCloud issue so I made him sign out of iCloud completely on the old device, then I restored it to factory defaults, then he signed out of iCloud on the new iPhone, rebooted the device, and signed in to iCloud again.

He does not use Apple Music, iCloud music, etc. These are all local files on his laptop with playlists created in the music app. I am plugging in via USB to his laptop and using Finder to sync. It allows me to select the playlist and click sync/apply but no music ever gets transferred.

Sync'ing photos, audiobooks, etc. all work just fine.

kittonian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
Completely deauthorizing Music on the laptop and then authorizing from scratch, rebooting both the computer and the iPhone, as well as having to create brand new playlists has done the trick. Music now syncs. Very strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.