Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m93_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2020
Hello guys, I just can't understand if my doubts are legit or if I'm simply just dumb. If i'm in a room with a dim light (not plain dark, but not very bright either), is the the brightness of the screen supposed to be dim as well? I have AB on, and whenever I'm in a room with dim lights, I notice the screen to be far too dim, even if I set the brightness level to let's say 90%, I still find it to be way too dim for my liking. By turning AB off however, the screen gets much more brighter, like a whole new level of bright. Is this suppose to happen, or is my unit defective? I feel like the advice is just unusable with AB turned on!

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Hello guys, I just can't understand if my doubts are legit or if I'm simply just dumb. If i'm in a room with a dim light (not plain dark, but not very bright either), is the the brightness of the screen supposed to be dim as well? I have AB on, and whenever I'm in a room with dim lights, I notice the screen to be far too dim, even if I set the brightness level to let's say 90%, I still find it to be way too dim for my liking. By turning AB off however, the screen gets much more brighter, like a whole new level of bright. Is this suppose to happen, or is my unit defective? I feel like the advice is just unusable with AB turned on!
It is defective. Swap for a different piece.

Reactions: m93_

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
You should compare to a similar device. It is however expected that the screen gets dimmer in darker environments.
No. The brightness slider decreases. Correspondingly the brightness decreases. If his slider is at 90% in a dim room, it should be blindingly bright unless the phone is defective.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
No. The brightness slider decreases. Correspondingly the brightness decreases. If his slider is at 90% in a dim room, it should be blindingly bright unless the phone is defective.

Or has some software bug.

m93_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2020
This isn’t a software bug. I have a lot of experience with this particular issue. It needs a hardware swap.
Thanks dude! That's what I thought, sadly. Would you advise me to wait or to do it immediately? I wouldn't want to get another device with the damn same problem. Also, I've just compared my 12 Pro with my old X, and they both look annoyingly dim even when AB is almost all the way up, in a low light scenario. I did turn AB off on my old X when I bought it 3 years ago, so I guess I never had a chance to notice it had a defective screen as well. Is it just me having a tremendous bad luck, or are these defective screens common on iPhones?

m93_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2020
Try to reset the Auto-Brightness feature.

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately I went through that process more than once and it doesn't seem to be changing anything. By default "my" AB will make the screen way too dim it's infuriating.

m93_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2020
You should compare to a similar device. It is however expected that the screen gets dimmer in darker environments.
Thanks mate, that's exactly what I did. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure my old iPhone X had the same problem, so a comparison doesn't really help here.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks dude! That's what I thought, sadly. Would you advise me to wait or to do it immediately? I wouldn't want to get another device with the damn same problem. Also, I've just compared my 12 Pro with my old X, and they both look annoyingly dim even when AB is almost all the way up, in a low light scenario. I did turn AB off on my old X when I bought it 3 years ago, so I guess I never had a chance to notice it had a defective screen as well. Is it just me having a tremendous bad luck, or are these defective screens common on iPhones?
Change asap.

m93_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2020
Just wanted to give a little update on my situation. I just updated to iOS 14.3 and absolutely nothing has changed. Screen still looks crappy as hell. I'm gonna get this replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.