Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Been having problems especially when playing games. I noticed display stuttering/fps drop when playing games. At first, I thought it could be an app optimisation issue but it seems to happen to all games. I thought it was an iOS issue but doesn't seemed to be at all. Is anyone else suffering from this? The only way I managed to find a fix is to enable low battery mode and gameplay is smooth again (very weird). I've never had this experience with my previous iPhones.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Been having problems especially when playing games. I noticed display stuttering/fps drop when playing games. At first, I thought it could be an app optimisation issue but it seems to happen to all games. I thought it was an iOS issue but doesn't seemed to be at all. Is anyone else suffering from this? The only way I managed to find a fix is to enable low battery mode and gameplay is smooth again (very weird). I've never had this experience with my previous iPhones.

Could just be a quick build up of heat? Are you using some sort of heavy duty case on it? Very odd.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Could just be a quick build up of heat? Are you using some sort of heavy duty case on it? Very odd.
no. I'm not using any case at all. funny enough, turning on low battery mode solves the fps drop. Do you have any iPhone 12 Pro or Pro Max? possible that you can help me test it out? it's very obvious on any Apple Arcade games.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
no. I'm not using any case at all. funny enough, turning on low battery mode solves the fps drop. Do you have any iPhone 12 Pro or Pro Max? possible that you can help me test it out? it's very obvious on any Apple Arcade games.

Nope, I have an 11 Pro Max, hopefully someone with the same model as you can help though. I do now remember there were some issues when PhoneArena were testing the phones for battery life in terms of gaming the 12 range did have some issues with games.

Hopefully someone with the same phone can advise though, glad you are able to make it work well in LP mode.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
I think I have solved the problem. Just go back to Home Screen and reopen the app. then no more fps drops. Will continue to monitor
I have a 256gb 12 pro max. I loaded my phone up with data and only had about 1gb storage left.
When storage was almost maxed out i noticed some games would grind to a halt.
After freeing up space the problem went away. Maybe ios has some weird memory management issue, haven’t tried in more recent ios versions.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
12 pro max here, no issues apart from the crappy Samsung panel that has green tint, running like a beast, no slow downs or lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.