Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonePodsrbest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2020
I don’t know how I got this scratch. It’s very tiny and faint but I always used a clean silicone case. What do you guys think. I’m thinking that it already was there out of the box and it came from the factory itself. The scratch is above the flashlight (not on the camera area).

Attachments

• 8DAC9DF4-B468-4940-8B62-F24F151F33D6.jpeg
    8DAC9DF4-B468-4940-8B62-F24F151F33D6.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 3,166
  • 78DACA6C-D43A-4E2C-A98F-CE67A46B399C.jpeg
    78DACA6C-D43A-4E2C-A98F-CE67A46B399C.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 6173EFC5-C896-4E61-9A03-467A788E39BD.jpeg
    6173EFC5-C896-4E61-9A03-467A788E39BD.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 998

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
It does look like a scratch. Wether or not it was done by you or in the factory or elsewhere nobody will be able to tell on this forum.

If you are still in your return period and you don’t want to mown the device like that return it.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Looks like a scratch but you sure the case didn't do it? 😂🤣. No way to tell tbh. This is one reason why I always inspect my device right after I unbox it. If there is a scratch or any damage right out of the box, it goes back to the box and packaged back to Apple for a refund.

Barry Irwin

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
I don’t know how I got this scratch. It’s very tiny and faint but I always used a clean silicone case. What do you guys think. I’m thinking that it already was there out of the box and it came from the factory itself. The scratch is above the flashlight (not on the camera area).
See my thread below. I had a similar problem in the same general location with my 12 Pro. You’re not the only one out there. I’ve gone through 1 Pro and 3 minis, and they all have some kind of manufacturing defect. Other people are reporting scratches and dings as well. I’m sure they sacrificed quality for quantity this cycle to keep up with demand since so many people wanted to upgrade to a 5G phone.

Reactions: iPhonePodsrbest

iPhonePodsrbest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2020
See my thread below. I had a similar problem in the same general location with my 12 Pro. You’re not the only one out there. I’ve gone through 1 Pro and 3 minis, and they all have some kind of manufacturing defect. Other people are reporting scratches and dings as well. I’m sure they sacrificed quality for quantity this cycle to keep up with demand since so many people wanted to upgrade to a 5G phone.

Did you made pictures form the minis? Yeah I guess it’s from the factory. It has to be because I really don’t know how I could scratch that part of the phone. It was in a silicone case all the time.

Barry Irwin

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Did you made pictures form the minis? Yeah I guess it’s from the factory. It has to be because I really don’t know how I could scratch that part of the phone. It was in a silicone case all the time.
I didn’t take pictures of the issues. If you read through my thread, I explain all the issues I had with each phone.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Scratches on back/frame/camera, poorly seated glass in frame, dents, gaps in screen gasket, dust in lens, white spot under rear glass, uneven volume buttons, mushy buttons, uneven back lighting, overly yellow displays, overly red displays. I've seen them all on iPhones and ipads. It's all mass produced tech with weak quality control because demand is so high.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Scratches on back/frame/camera, poorly seated glass in frame, dents, gaps in screen gasket, dust in lens, white spot under rear glass, uneven volume buttons, mushy buttons, uneven back lighting, overly yellow displays, overly red displays. I've seen them all on iPhones and ipads. It's all mass produced tech with weak quality control because demand is so high.

It’s certainly a question of QC because often times mass production has less quality issues due to the scale than stuff produced in small amounts.

jordysak

Suspended
Jan 8, 2021
update? What did you do with it? Did you get it replaced? Or did you keep it? I have a tiny scratch too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.