Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacedonian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Brno, CZ
Hi everyone.

I just noticed yesterday a little black dot under the lens ring of my iPhone 13. This is not superficial but it is beneath so nothing can remove it. I am honestly bothered by it due to OCD and the fact it would lower the value in case I want to sell the iPhone. It is still under warranty. What do you advice here?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The value of your phone would not be lowered because of a speck of debris. Have you tried flicking it off with an exceptionally small 23 gauge needle?

iMacedonian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Brno, CZ
The value of your phone would not be lowered because of a speck of debris. Have you tried flicking it off with an exceptionally small 23 gauge needle?
Yes sir. The thing is it really is under the glass and the needle would not be able to penetrate between the camera ring and the glass. I have no idea how it got trapped there or if it was like this since purchase.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yes sir. The thing is it really is under the glass and the needle would not be able to penetrate between the camera ring and the glass. I have no idea how it got trapped there or if it was like this since purchase.

Seems like a manufacturing defect that you never noticed at first. If it’s under the glass, which is airtight, then it has been like that since leaving the factory. There is not much you can do, I’m afraid :(.

Reactions: iMacedonian

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I had the same issue with my first MacBook, it had a speck of dirt under the top layer of the trackpad. Bothered me a lot at first, but I ultimately figured it wasn‘t worth worrying about. I used it for five years and pretty much forgot about it after the first month or so.

Last edited:

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
Hi everyone.

I just noticed yesterday a little black dot under the lens ring of my iPhone 13. This is not superficial but it is beneath so nothing can remove it. I am honestly bothered by it due to OCD and the fact it would lower the value in case I want to sell the iPhone. It is still under warranty. What do you advice here?
do you have a lens ring protector installed? try removing the protector and use a very thin piece of paper to try to remove the dirt.

if you do not have a camera ring protector then the best solution is to either live with it or bring it to Apple and have the dirt removed.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
If you have Apple Care+, I believe you can get it replaced under warranty as a manufacturer defect. You can request a express replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.