Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello.

I recently purchased an iPhone 13 128GB which seems to be working perfectly in every regard, except from Google Apps.
Specifically, every major google app (gmail, youtube and so on) has some stuttering issues.
For example on youtube 60 fps videos sometimes stutter, in Gmail when I scroll my emails it stutters and doesn't keep a constant velocity.

All the other apps (Both from Apple and not) behave normally.
I'm on iOS 15.1.1

Given how iOS 15 seems to be riddled with bugs, I'm not too worried...however I wanted to know if any of you experienced anything similar.
All the screen accessibility features (True tone, auto-brightness, battery saver and so on) are disabled.

Thanks <3

Last edited:

xbryvvn

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
Hi, same behaviour here, iPhone 12 on iOS 15.1.1. Google Apps been laggy for a bit.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hi, same behaviour here, iPhone 12 on iOS 15.1.1. Google Apps been laggy for a bit.
Thank god, I thought my phone was broken...
Then again all the non google apps work flawlessly.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Going to truly go out on a limb here and ask if maybe Google have not properly optimized their Apps for iPhone 13 range because they are busy doing a complete rebuild of their UI on iOS for all their apps? And maybe they are just in maintanance mode right now with the current setup?

I don’t know much about the app development process so I am just guessing, please do correct me if I am wrong.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I recorded some video evidence of the problem; it's an instance of me scolling inside a newsletter email.
You can clearly see the problem.
I cannot seem to replicate this while scrolling within non-google apps.

On youtube the problems manifests itself in dropping frames from time to time (about each 10 seconds), especially at 60fps.

I'm on iOS 15.2 and the phone has been force restarted (and factory reset , for that matter).

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2021
Is ok. My 13 pro does it also. On 15.2 is a bit smoother. The gmail’s list of mails is smooth but any mail i open is laggy, 50-70 fps. On the other hand, the youtube and instagram are the smoothest. Youtube stutters only if i scroll too fast and it needs to load

PS- I just realised that the screen recording max out at 58 FPS so i dont know if the videos above are useful for you.

Last edited:

learjet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2021
Oh, that annoying problem. On my iPhone Xs, I have experienced it since at least iOS 14, maybe earlier.
I have recorded a video - hopefully you can see the stutter and dropped frames when scrolling certain content. Especially HTML-formatted e-Mails seem to be a problem, text only content not so much.

Reinstalling the Gmail app obviously didn't work. Other apps don't show the same stuttery behavior.

By the way, the Gmail app has more annoying bugs, since we're talking about it:
  • AirPrinting certain complex e-Mail-threads with many embedded photos crashes the app.
  • Try clicking on a user avatar image you have interacted with previously. You will be redirected to the "contact details" view (in German: "Kontaktdetails") which lists your previous conversations. At least on my phone, you cannot tap the previous conversations. It displays the Google-Material-Design tap response, but doesn't do anything.
  • Try tapping on an e-Mail-thread with multiple mails. Do not open the previous thread entries, displayed in a folded way. Instead, start swiping from the left to go back, but don't go back completely: Swipe back to the current view. Voila: Now you cannot unfold the previous mails any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.