Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyricists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
I bought a brand new iPhone 13 Pro and I noticed the pins are not even and 3 of them look bent. Is this normal and within specs ? So far everything works fine, but I don’t know wether I should be concerned about it.. I am talking about the 2,3 and 7 pin.

Attachments

• IMG_2062.JPEG
    IMG_2062.JPEG
    309.6 KB · Views: 6,495
  • IMG_2063.JPEG
    IMG_2063.JPEG
    316 KB · Views: 1,753
  • IMG_2042.JPEG
    IMG_2042.JPEG
    325.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • IMG_2072.JPEG
    IMG_2072.JPEG
    380.4 KB · Views: 872

Lyricists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
I’d never thought to look before, but my 13 Pro is the same.
Bro for real? I was so disappointed because I thought that only mine was like that for some reason. I checked my 5s, 11, and my iPad and all of them have perfectly lined pins.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Brand new? Less than perfect? You can return for a refund in the first 14 days, even with no reason at all, swap out for another.

Reactions: Lyricists

Lyricists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
Brand new? Less than perfect? You can return for a refund in the first 14 days, even with no reason at all, swap out for another.
But I didn't buy straight from Apple and here in Greece, I asked from where I bought it for the 14 days no reason swap and they said that that's not possible... Also, the phone is like 25 days old :p

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Did you purchase the iPhone from a shop that also provides service/repairs?
Did you show your iPhone, and ask your question about the alignment of the pins?

You did say that everything seems to work/
Possibly the pins will continue to align whenever you connect to the lightning port, and you may not ever have any issues with that. It should be designed to allow for a little movement of the pins in the connector, so you may not ever have problems, even though it looks like a few pins are not in correct position - everything connects properly when your lightning cable is actually plugged in.

Lyricists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
Did you purchase the iPhone from a shop that also provides service/repairs?
Did you show your iPhone, and ask your question about the alignment of the pins?

You did say that everything seems to work/
Possibly the pins will continue to align whenever you connect to the lightning port, and you may not ever have any issues with that. It should be designed to allow for a little movement of the pins in the connector, so you may not ever have problems, even though it looks like a few pins are not in correct position - everything connects properly when your lightning cable is actually plugged in.
Yes, the shop provides service/repairs with Apple Standards etc. It’s a big chain of stores here in Greece called “Germanos”, It’s like Vodafone.

No, I saw that today and I don’t if I should deal with it If this is normal and every iPhone 13 Pro is like that. I will see if my friend’s iPhone 13 Pro Max is the same. If it’s not then I don’t what to do.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
But I didn't buy straight from Apple and here in Greece, I asked from where I bought it for the 14 days no reason swap and they said that that's not possible... Also, the phone is like 25 days old :p
Make an appointment for support from a Genius and have them take a look. If they say it's fine, have them put it writing and be on your way.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Bro for real? I was so disappointed because I thought that only mine was like that for some reason. I checked my 5s, 11, and my iPad and all of them have perfectly lined pins.

Yes. It looks to be normal. My wife’s 13 looks the same.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
To those of you who have misaligned or "damaged" pins, what kinds of cables are you using?

Lyricists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
They aren’t misaligned or damaged…. It appears to be by design. I’ve now looked at a 13 Pro and 2 13s that look the same.
Yes that’s true. I checked 2 other phones and they are the same so no problem, it’s just by design.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Does it face any issues with charging? If not, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Its hard to tell from the pics because reflections always make it difficult to compare things to one and another. Really need a straight in macro shot. That reflection comes from the cable contacting them first and polishing the edge.

However I dont think it matters for a few reasons.

First, the pin height won't be exact..ever, the pins in the middle are power and the pins on one edge is ground. The will see a lot more temp fluctuations while charging.

Second, the pins of your new phone are higher then they will eventually be years from now. I feel they will likely work themselves into an average height just at different rates.

Third, the pins/contacts aren't just little flaps of bent metal they are like little wedges. They are relatively robust by consumer connector standards. As we've seen they are designed to last the useable life of the device plus some. Excuse the photo quality this was more difficult to get a good picture of than I would have thought but this is my iPhone 11 PM so you can see what "little wedges" I'm referring to.

Photo on 7-5-22 at 12.45 AM #2.jpeg

If I look at from the direction you are the two contacts on each end look "bent" like yours but at this angle and light they are probably the tallest. Also comparing to yours, the pins you feel are bent are ~1/3 taller than my tallest. Honestly they look like the contacts on the lightning cable (completely flat) to the naked eye, but zoom in and they are fine.

Overall, I don't feel this is an issue. Apple wouldn't even likely do an out of warranty repair because there technically nothing to repair. They would likely clean the port and send you on your way. However if it REALLY bothers you you can still get AppleCare+ and extend its warranty. Good thing about that is it covers everything, bad thing is its expensive.

Something I would do is always check your lightning cables prior to plugging them into the phone. Pins 4 and 5 (in the middle) specifically because they are power. If you see those (or any) contacts are discolored or burned then toss the cable in the trash. The cable will take most of the damage but the contacts in the phone will see some to so you don't want to keep doing that. If you see it keeps happening then take your phone to Apple so they can clean out the port.

Reactions: Furrr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.