Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Just got my new iPhone 13 pro max coming from the 12 max. Upgrade via apple using my ATT next upgrade.
Got the phone delivered put sim in from 12 pro max into 13 pro max and phone won’t activate. Rebooted several times, reset network settings and tried activating via ATT site. and nothing works. Putting sim back into Ipp12 and that doesn’t work either. No new SIM card came w the 13.
Any ideas or anyone else have similar issue? In the past I could just take the Sim card and Pop into new phone. This is what we did last year going the same purchase route.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Did you log into your iCloud account when directed? Did you talk to AT&T? Be patient. It might take a while the change to be recognized by the system.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Did you log into your iCloud account when directed? Did you talk to AT&T? Be patient. It might take a while the change to be recognized by the system.
I don’t think it ever asked since I just took my IPP12 and put next to IPP13.

it’s been about 4 hours since trying to activate

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don’t think it ever asked since I just took my IPP12 and put next to IPP13.

it’s been about 4 hours since trying to activate
So it’s not related to iCloud activation. I think you just need to wait for AT&T.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
So it’s not related to iCloud activation. I think you just need to wait for AT&T.
Got it. I can download a esim but will activate a 2nd line which I don’t need. I will just wait and worst case run to the store.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I am seeing the same with Verizon. Just got it and it activated under the 1st eSIM shows line on, but 0 bars. Trying OS update to the zero day release and if it doesn't activate in the next 2 hours I am contacting Verizon

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
My eSIM from Verizon wouldn’t activate automatically like it was supposed to. Had to call customer support to get is fixed. They just needed to add the ICCID of the new eSIM into their system.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
My eSIM from Verizon wouldn’t activate automatically like it was supposed to. Had to call customer support to get is fixed. They just needed to add the ICCID of the new eSIM into their system.
Did you have an eSIM in your previous phone? I had a physical SIM. The only eSIM option I have is for line 2

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
Aren’t the 13s all eSim? Maybe remove it all together, reboot and call Verizon. You probably tried this a dozen times but just a thought

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
got my Verizon one activated over chat. They needed the IMEI and ICCID and then took 10 minutes

JohnnyChuttz

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Just got my new iPhone 13 pro max coming from the 12 max. Upgrade via apple using my ATT next upgrade.
Got the phone delivered put sim in from 12 pro max into 13 pro max and phone won’t activate. Rebooted several times, reset network settings and tried activating via ATT site. and nothing works. Putting sim back into Ipp12 and that doesn’t work either. No new SIM card came w the 13.
Any ideas or anyone else have similar issue? In the past I could just take the Sim card and Pop into new phone. This is what we did last year going the same purchase route.
Take the SIM card out. All of these 13’s are esim.

Then activate the phone on the website. I just did it, worked flawlessly.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Take the SIM card out. All of these 13’s are esim.

Then activate the phone on the website. I just did it, worked flawlessly.
Thank you. I for some reason figured this out by navigating their site and getting the site to send me an eSIM. Worked and the instructions above helped as well. Thank you to the smart people on this site

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Which option do you choose on the att site (Activating a device? Choose your type.)
if You purchased the new iPhone 13 from Apple unlocked and are replacing a phone that is already on your AT&T account? Thanks

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Which option do you choose on the att site (Activating a device? Choose your type.)
if You purchased the new iPhone 13 from Apple unlocked and are replacing a phone that is already on your AT&T account? Thanks
I had to go to my line and select manage device and then select new esim card. It sent it to my phone over the air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.