Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your favorite "special color" for the iPhone 13 Pro lineup?

• Sierra Blue

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Alpine Green

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
It's been over half a year since the iPhone 13 series was first released, and this post is particularly about the Pro / Pro Max lineup.
Initially it was released in four different colors; graphite, silver, gold and Sierra blue. About a month ago, Apple released a mid-cycle new color, the Alpine green. So, in all there are now five different colors to choose from.
Today I wanted to talk about this year's new "special colors".
Since the iPhone 11 Pro series, Apple has had one (and this year two) special, unique color in its lineup, in addition to the standard classic colors, graphite (or space gray), silver and gold. Starting with midnight green, then pacific blue, and now, Sierra blue and alpine green.
When the iPhone 13 pro max was released, I went with the classic graphite. I mean, you can't go wrong with that color. It matches just about any case and all my other Apple products.
But, it didn't take long until I had myself a Sierra blue 13PM, and I thought it was stunning.
And, not surprisingly, I just had to pick up an alpine green as well last month.
It's been my daily driver ever since launch date.
I'm somehow surprised that there are so few reviews of this phone, but I guess it's also natural, as not everybody wants to exchange their phones mid-cycle just for a new color.
But, if you're one who owns both phones (or have owned both - perhaps you traded in your blue for the green), or at least have seen both phones on display, which one is your favorite?
I must say that the green phone is extremely beautiful, but I think that Apple somehow messed up on the release time for the blue and the green. To me, the green looks very much like a fall/autumn phone, whereas the Sierra blue has "summer" written all over it.
I think it would have made much more sense, if they had released the green phone back in September, and the Sierra blue in the spring, as the days are getting brighter, and the blue reflects the blue sky and makes it "pop" a lot more than the green.
That being said, I think the green matches my space gray Apple products better than the blue, due to its darker color tone.
Ok, I know that there are bound to be quite a few "just slap a case on it, and forget about the color" comments, but I love to wear my iPhone caseless, so to me, the color does matter.
As for my initial question, which special color is the best this year, I must say that even though the green is my daily driver for now, I think the Sierra blue wins by the smallest of margins (I might change my opinion again tomorrow, though... it's THAT close).
So, what's your favorite "special color" this year? Sierra blue or alpine green?
tempImageWRoIm7.jpg

Reactions: 5105973

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I really dislike whatever that weird shade of blue-to-grey is supposed to be. Something about how they preview it on the apple website makes me hate it.

The dark green isn't my top favourite, but it's a huge improvement over that pastel green the 12 and 11 come in. I'd pick that if black/graphite was out of stock.

Reactions: Telesmurfen

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Alpine Green any day for me. I never liked Sierra Blue, it‘s too light for me. I much preferred the Pacific Blue of the 12 Pro generation.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for the feedback so far... those of you who have commented, have all said the alpine green, but the poll shows that the Sierra blue is the favorite. But, with a total of only 10 people who have voted, that vote doesn't really say very much.
Anyway, I hope more people will vote and comment. My taste, and my choice of phones, is not based on other peoples opinions, but I always find it interesting to hear what other people have chosen, and why that is their favorite color.
And although this thread is about the "special colors" released this year, I must say that if I was to only keep one phone (of all the five colors that are released), I would pick the graphite without hesitation.

Reactions: Mark Stone

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
My iPhone 13 is the sierra blue -- it is a very, very pretty color. I didn't choose it lol, it was the last 13 available at the TMO storefront a month ago - but I'm really happy with the color.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Based on the above picture alone, my vote goes to the blue. That said, I think Graphite is still the best looking phone every generation.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have Sierra Blue. I love this color. But I’m also a fan of the Alpine green. I agree with you about how green should have been the fall/winter release and Sierra blue would have been a good spring color. I didn’t know what to vote for.

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Unless your phone has no case, color is overrated. I like my leather case and avoid clear cases as they quickly make phone look cheap.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Sierra blue works well for both fall and summer, since it looks closer to slate grey in darker conditions, rather than the baby blue hue it displays in well-lit places.

Last edited:

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I have Sierra Blue. I love this color. But I’m also a fan of the Alpine green. I agree with you about how green should have been the fall/winter release and Sierra blue would have been a good spring color. I didn’t know what to vote for.
Maybe because seasons differ outside the US ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.