Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
As the title says, no matter what I change in the settings everything my iPhone 14 Plus records is in h264. Needless to say I'd prefer to record in h265 for file size reasons. I'm not using my device professionally or anything. Is this maybe a bug?

Also I haven't tried any 3rd party app yet. I'd prefer to use the in-built app, though any suggestions are appreciated anyway.

EDIT:

The problem further "intensifies"

check out how the same file is a totally different encoding and size on either windows or IOS:

2022-12-13 (1).png

2022-12-13.png

IMG_6541.PNG

What the hell is going on here???

Last edited:

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
test it. Shoot the same subject, first as 264 and then 265. Same frame, same movement, same duration. Then check file sizes. If the are different and the 265 is smaller then VLC is lying. If not, do a factory reset.

Reactions: Scarrus

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Sorry, just saw the reply.

Yep, have done that allready. No effect. 🤔

How are you transferring the files to your PC? In Settings, Photos... Under Transfer to Mac or PC, what's it set to? Automatic converts files to H.264 for better compatibility.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
How are you transferring the files to your PC? In Settings, Photos... Under Transfer to Mac or PC, what's it set to? Automatic converts files to H.264 for better compatibility.
its your PC, no issues here iPhone 14 plus.

Last edited:

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Lol, never knew that was there. Will try it again. This was probably the problem as transfers also took a long time so it was probably converting the videos.

Reactions: kitKAC

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Ok, can confirm this worked. I had the feeling the phone was doing some reconverting to h264 as the 4K videos especially seemed to show some compression artefacts here and there.

Thanks to everybody who replied in this thread.

Reactions: kitKAC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.