Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlk610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2022
First time posting I searched but could not find any similar posts. I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this bug I found, so when I have a timer going and lock my iPhone pro 14 with always on display enabled it shows the minutes but just shows dashes for the second. The same thing happens in voice memos as well. Is this a feature of a bug?

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Interesting... Yes. I have that same issue. I suspect it is a bug but due to the way Apple did the always on display (slowing the screen refresh to 1Hz) it may be a timing thing since the screen only refreshes once per second anyway.

Worth submitting a feedback just in case.

UPDATE: seems it does show the seconds when the time remaining is less than a minute. Seems odd since it could show the seconds the entire time since it's refreshing once a second anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlk610

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
My phone does the same thing with the timer. Not sure if it’s a bug or if it’s intended to do that since the always on display is supposed to have a refresh rate of 1Hz.

Reactions: jlk610

jlk610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2022
I was thinking that it might be intentional because of the 1 Hz as well but seems like a strange way to implement the timer on the always on display if it is. I almost would rather it not be there if that is how it is going to look.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
As someone who never turns off AoD on their watch and uses timers a lot this seems like a "working as designed" to me. Constantly updating the screen every second would chew through battery power significantly faster than updating once a minute. You see this on stopwatch and timers on the watch also.

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Has anyone had any issues with screen protectors and the Always-On-Display?

Since I put mine on, it doesn’t seem to remain on, is it triggering the proximity sensor perhaps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.