Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Th3Hunt3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2023
My wife was on a domestic US flight and joined the WiFi during the flight. After the flight ended she was no longer to get a cellular connection. We received the error “an update is required to use cellular data.” in settings > cellular.
After going through both apple support and a Genius Bar appointment they said “multiple hardware components are failing the diagnostic”. We are not prone to dropping phones so we don’t have AppleCare. But the repair was $500 and out of the 1 year warranty (full phone replacement except screen and cameras). It’s unbelievable that apple only does a 1 year warranty for manufacturing defects on a “pro” phone.

Have there been an increase in hardware failures with the 14 chips?

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
It’s unbelievable that apple only does a 1 year warranty for manufacturing defects on a “pro” phone.
The 1yr warranty is plenty of time for a manufacturer defect to occur. As a matter of fact, it’s typically going to happen inside of 3 months. Whenever I spoke with a customer in your situation, I would gather all the facts and then create a one-time exception to have the device replaced at the cost of a battery repair (for that model). I would limit the repair based on the Apple Store finding no physical damage, no modifications, and no liquid damage. That way, we’re all on the same page if something is found. Why not (gently) plead your case to a Senior Advisor and ask for this exception. They can easily notate your case and make your appointment back to the store.

Th3Hunt3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2023
I followed the above and maybe I did it wrong but they were only willing to give me an extra $150 on the trade in (so about $300). I guess it’s better than the original $143 but geez they really think everyone should have AppleCare. I got the feeling after the fact that if I had bought AppleCare on the phone we bought to replace it maybe they would have done more. 👎🏼 gross.

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I followed the above and maybe I did it wrong but they were only willing to give me an extra $150 on the trade in (so about $300). I guess it’s better than the original $143 but geez they really think everyone should have AppleCare. I got the feeling after the fact that if I had bought AppleCare on the phone we bought to replace it maybe they would have done more. 👎🏼 gross.
1 year warranty on electronics is very typical in the U.S. When a device is as expensive as the Pro Phones or iPads you need extended warranties to cover the cost as replacement/repair out of warranty is expensive. Most devices don't fail within 3 years if treated properly but premature hardware failure does happen. You gambled with not purchasing Applecare+ and unfortunately you lost. I have never purchased it until the iPhone X because I've never needed it but, they cost so much to replace out of warranty so I opted to buy extra protection. My X never had an issue for the almost 6 years I used it so Apple got free money from my purchase of Applecare+ so I lost on that bet. It really goes bot ways, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose

Reactions: joeblack007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.