Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Will upgrade 2 iPhone 13 Pro Max this year. I used to update every year but minimal updates means you can wait 2-3 years.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Photographer here. Damn it apple stop with the 120mm lens and give us usable focal lengths
13mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, and 120mm is an insane hole in the most needed focal lengths. 13, 24,35, 50 ,75 would be so much better. 120 is too long for hand holding video. and not a normal need,
You must not have kids that play sports. I love the 120 and wish for an even greater zoom.

I’m the curmudgeon on this. They will likely introduce nothing that will be of any real interest to the vast majority of users. More likely a bunch of pointless features hardly anyone will use. Add in that many people can barely use the basic functions they already have.

Making calls, email, messaging, camera, storing photos, access internet, maybe some games, shopping and maybe banking apps, some music playing and maybe airdrop. For many if not most the rest is unnecessary complication—a million things they will never use.
Don't forget the most important thing you do, "Browse MacRumors!" 😁

All kidding aside you are right. I know people go nuts over Shortcuts, but I think that is one of the most useless things ever created. I can't write a shortcut for an app that needs it the most. Most of the time apps that do allow you to write shortcuts for them generally are well written and don't need anything added. And those that do allow you to write a shortcut generally do not give me the access needed to do what I want. It's a neutered solution thrown on top of an neutered OS.

Reactions: gusmula

Odan

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2023
Sure MR, maybe most people upgrade every two years? However there must be others like me keeping their phones 4-5 years. Still have a 12 Pro, works extremely fast like when it was new. I will get the 16 Pro for more capacity though…

Reactions: arkitect

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
With the size increase of the regular pro, a lot of 14 Pro Max users may be getting the iPhone 16 Pro. It will be something I consider.

iTattoo

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
Toronto
I know the 13mini was a sales flop, but I also think that was perhaps overshooting the mark. The 5.8" size of the X, XS and 11pro was a winner. I also believe that it's a enough of a gap between the new 6.3 and 6.9 inch sizes, that Apple could release the pro in 3 sizes, and perhaps the standard iPhone in either one or two of the best selling sizes. Just because a phone is smaller by preference does not mean that the user wants a phone with fewer features, just a smaller phone.

Reactions: Odan

willdude

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
I’ve been one of those every-two-years upgraders, wondering if this is the year I’ll break that cycle and just hold onto the 14 Pro. The upgrade from 12P to 14P had some significant changes: better camera, Dynamic Island, and especially the higher refresh rate (it is seriously hard to use any 60Hz touchscreen now). But so far, nothing about the 15P or 16P seem especially compelling. So the biggest reason to upgrade would be to maximize the resale value of the 14P, and the inherent risks of not having AC+ coverage.

Reactions: Odan and snaps840

snaps840

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2021
This 14 Pro Max user is happily waiting for the 17. I used to be "two-and-new" but switched to "three-and-new"; the upgrade becomes more of a "wow factor" (plus, I'm not ready to ditch the Lightning connector for USB-C quite yet). Also, maybe Apple will have their proprietary modem ready by fall 2025.

Reactions: Odan

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
If I hadn't lusted for the S24U, I would still be fine with my 13pro. There's not anything in the feature set comparison that would entice me to switch. Not even close. In fact, I didn't upgrade to the 15 specifically because of that stupid dynamic island (the pinhole camera up in the S24U's status bar is a perfect compromise). Which is absolutely fine. Incremental upgrades are fine, but Apple constantly acts as if the newest iPhone is a total game changer, groundbreaker, best-thing-since sliced bread.

Apple needs to shift their eco-focused messaging toward sustainability via longevity. There's a lot of people out there who pretend to care about the environment yet constantly go buy the newest crap. Come out with the most repairable phone ever, abandon the stupid Apple packaging, and get people thinking about keeping their phones longer than they do. But that won't appease Wall St.

Tevosn

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2020
I'm on iPhone 13 pro, and while i would like a better camera in my next iPhone, the only other thing im really missing is a brighter screen, especially during summer.
Would also like if the removed the pill design and went back to notch, or just made a fullscreen display.

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
I'm really annoyed that they're getting bigger. My 13 Pro is already uncomfortably large in jeans pockets. I miss my 5.8" 11 Pro, that was perfect.
I agree. The 11 pro was my favorite physical phone. I had the green one. LOVED IT!!!

Love to see 16 pro stuff crammed into the same body of the 11 pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.