Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekucukoglu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
Hello all.

I am watching a YouTube channel of a third party iPhone repair shop. A very reliable one actually, in Turkey. They published a video a couple of days ago. There is an iPhone 15 Pro, dropped in its case and a screen protector on in that video. No visual cracks, just the screen is broken from inside and a damaged logic board. The weird thing is, on the logic board, there is this weird warp on the metal side.

So, how is this possible? It is under the shield and no physical damage on the phone. So, how can that metal be affected in this way just from a drop?

I have added the image and video is here.:

Attachments

• ip15prologicboard.jpg
    ip15prologicboard.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 231

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It's common see solder joints on the logic board break or loosen after a big drop. Some people assume because there are no moving parts in iPhone, it's impossible to damage to the logic board.

If I had to guess, there was a downward force (purple). The shield is soldered down but the red points loosened. The green points held, leading to compression.

1701200162690.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.