Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegotheplantboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2019
So here is the background:

Went from a 120hz iPhone 14 Pro Max to the new 16 Plus.
I knew I was notice and that's that.

However, I also have a Pixel 8a for work - which has a 120hz display and I turned it off to 60hz to confirm a theory.

The 16 is incredibly smooth at times, but it seems like the OS experience is jittery and jagged at times on 60hz. To the point that I started suspecting it was a software optimization problem versus a hardware limitation.

Been using my work phone on 60hz on Android 14 and the animations are incredibly smooth and don't experience the jitter I notice on my iPhone 16. Obviously when I go back to 120hz the smoothness just gets even better, but 60hz is just fine.

Now I feel compelled to return my iPhone, but I want to know what people think. Again, it's just a theory I have and I don't have the tools to test it.

Makes me feel like planned obsolescence just from a UI experience end.

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
How does text look when you scroll on the pixel vs the iPhone at 60hz ? That’s where I notice it easily. Somewhat blurry and harder to read as it moves at 60hz.
Wonder if the pixel looks the same at 60hz ?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yes technically the screen -can- refresh 60X/sec but it’s obvious that the graphics being displayed are not refreshing that quickly all the time.
I wouldn’t get hung up on the specs. Just use the phone you like the best.
Also - the smaller the screen, the easier it is on the GPU - less pixels to push around. So smaller phones typically scroll smoother.

diegotheplantboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2019
How does text look when you scroll on the pixel vs the iPhone at 60hz ? That’s where I notice it easily. Somewhat blurry and harder to read as it moves at 60hz.
Wonder if the pixel looks the same at 60hz ?
The text is the one that’s the easiest to notice but it doesnt cause too much trouble for me to be bothered, I get more caught on transition animations from the general UI

diegotheplantboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2019
Yes technically the screen -can- refresh 60X/sec but it’s obvious that the graphics being displayed are not refreshing that quickly all the time.
I wouldn’t get hung up on the specs. Just use the phone you like the best.
Also - the smaller the screen, the easier it is on the GPU - less pixels to push around. So smaller phones typically scroll smoother.
My gripe is not wanting to get the Pro because I truly love the aquamarine Plus. you make good points though, still wonder if the UI animations can be furthered polished for the 60hz display on the iPhone from apple's end (I did send a feedback report on their site)

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I've noticed this on 60Hz iPhones previously. It's like some animations play at less than 60FPS.

This is probably in order to extend battery life somehow. Though that theory doesn't make sense seeing as ProMotion devices play animations at a higher framerate.

Reactions: diegotheplantboy

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I regularly switch between an iPhone SE that has a 60Hz LCD screen and an iPhone with an 120Hz OLED screen.

The 120Hz OLED is smoother but the 60Hz LCD isn’t bad at all. Now, if I limit the OLED to 60Hz it looks really choppy/laggy and just feels really bad to use. This is how I would assume the regular models are and to me it just isn’t something I’d want to use on a regular basis.

If Apple could get the OLED 60Hz to look/feel less janky I would most likely switch to a non-Pro iPhone and never look back.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
I regularly switch between an iPhone SE that has a 60Hz LCD screen and an iPhone with an 120Hz OLED screen.

The 120Hz OLED is smoother but the 60Hz LCD isn’t bad at all. Now, if I limit the OLED to 60Hz it looks really choppy/laggy and just feels really bad to use. This is how I would assume the regular models are and to me it just isn’t something I’d want to use on a regular basis.

If Apple could get the OLED 60Hz to look/feel less janky I would most likely switch to a non-Pro iPhone and never look back.

But is that how the pre-13 OLED Pro phones were perceived? Is there a consensus that the 12 Pro and 11 Pro were choppy and laggy, because they had 60 Hz OLED displays? I really think this is mostly a matter of being accustomed to 120Hz and 60Hz now appearing choppy as a result. Or are we arguing that the panel used in the non-pro 16 is worse than what was used in the pre-13 Pro phones?

I have a 60Hz 4K monitor on my PC. I’ve had it since before I got my first ProMotion iPhone and laptop. I never used to think anything other than that it was a beautiful display. But now, after years of using 120Hz on my Apple devices, that monitor looks choppy and laggy to me. It hasn’t gotten worse; it’s the same as it’s always been. But my perception has fundamentally changed. This is part of why I don’t think I can get a non-Pro phone. 60Hz just isn’t enough anymore.

diegotheplantboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2019
But is that how the pre-13 OLED Pro phones were perceived? Is there a consensus that the 12 Pro and 11 Pro were choppy and laggy, because they had 60 Hz OLED displays? I really think this is mostly a matter of being accustomed to 120Hz and 60Hz now appearing choppy as a result. Or are we arguing that the panel used in the non-pro 16 is worse than what was used in the pre-13 Pro phones?

I have a 60Hz 4K monitor on my PC. I’ve had it since before I got my first ProMotion iPhone and laptop. I never used to think anything other than that it was a beautiful display. But now, after years of using 120Hz on my Apple devices, that monitor looks choppy and laggy to me. It hasn’t gotten worse; it’s the same as it’s always been. But my perception has fundamentally changed. This is part of why I don’t think I can get a non-Pro phone. 60Hz just isn’t enough anymore.
I'm leaning towards design and optimization from Apple. Because I have the 120hz iPad and macbook pro BUT also use the 60hz iMac and it flows beautifully.

I definitely notice, because like you I am pretty accustomed to the new frame rates. However, my Pixel at 60hz was the light bulb that made me concerned for the jagged animations that often occur in 60hz iphones now. Perhaps not before because the level of animation has changed and perhaps solely been optimized for pro phones? all speculative of course.

Reactions: VisceralRealist

GMShadow

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2021
It's probably an issue with iOS, especially a x.0 release. You just may notice it less on the Pro phones because when it dips it's still above 60hz.

Reactions: diegotheplantboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.