Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldcomputr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2017
Italy
Hi all, most comparisons are between the same model from the year(s) before. E.g. 16 vs 15, 16 Pro vs 15 Pro, 16 Pro vs 14 Pro, and so on.

I would like to hear your opinion on a different kind of comparison, based on what should I buy with the same amount of money.
For around the same price I could buy a NEW 15 Pro Max from eBay (1120€ from a trusted seller) or a 16 Plus from the Apple store (1129€).

Features taken from the Compare iPhone Models page on Apple's site.

iPhone 15 Pro Max features not present on/better than the 16 Plus:
  • ProMotion
  • Always-on
  • Titanium vs Aluminum
  • 5x optical zoom
  • ƒ/1.78 on main camera vs 1.6
  • USB-C 3.0 vs 2.0
  • 256GB vs 128GB
  • Second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization (photo/video)
  • Adaptive True Tone flash
  • Night mode portraits
  • ProRAW
  • ProRes, Log, ACES
  • Slightly longer battery life? (29 hours video playback vs 27)

iPhone 16 Plus features not present on/better than the 15 Pro Max:
  • Camera button
  • Latest-generation Ceramic Shield
  • MagSafe wireless charging up to 25W
  • 1 nit minimum brightness
  • Latest-generation Photographic Styles
  • Anti-reflective lens coating (Fusion)
  • Dolby Vision on videos
  • SpatialAudio
  • Wind noise reduction
  • Audio Mix
  • Wifi 7

SoC
  • A17 Pro: 6c CPU, 6c GPU, 16c Neural
  • A18: 6c CPU, 5c GPU, 16c Neural
Of course no benchmarks yet, only found this. I think I won't notice any difference on a normal usage.

Let's say that I appreciate a lot having double the storage, ProMotion, and 5x zoom on the 15PM; and I like the idea of a dedicated camera multi-function button on the 16 Plus (and maybe wind noise/audio mix).

I have an iPhone XR, so stuff like titanium vs aluminum or slight wifi speed differences (6E vs7) don't matter to me; I don't care about shooting videos of my 7yo son in Dolby Spacial Audio Vision™. I never used "styles" while shooting, and I charge the phone during the night so it makes no difference if it takes 30 minutes or an hour. I don't play mobile games, I prefer to use my PS4 or PC on a 32" screen. I have a 2022 Mac studio for work.

I'd like a bigger screen (my eyesight is not that good), that's the main reason for getting a Max/Plus. I'd like to try Apple Intelligence when (if?) it will be available in Europe, so 8GB RAM is needed.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

leonardocav

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2024
Same situation here, also don't forget about the lower weight on the 16 plus, and the better thermal dissipation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.