Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencerEL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
I recently changed my battery in my iPhone 5 because my old one was busted. After the change everything was fine and the screen was working fine. However, the screen was not all the way popped in at the top so I popped the top of the screen into place. As soon as I did that the screen went dim with a yellowish back light. So I shut it off to take the screen out to see if I had broken anything. I didn't see anything that was damaged so I put everything back. When I went to turn the screen back on, it wouldn't. I tried holding the power and home button for a really long time. I took out the battery and put it back in. I took out the battery and charged the phone over night. I plugged my phone in and it is recognized on iTunes but it says I can't do anything because I need to unlock my passcode on my phone. At this point I know that the problem is not in the battery, but something at the top maybe in the three connectors or a damaged ribbon cable. I played around with those for a few hours but nothing changed. Does anyone know what might have broken when I popped the screen in at the top? Anyone know how to fix it? Will I need to buy a new ribbon or something of that sort? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
There is a small stainless steel metal plate inside, that is held by 4 screws, and the plate covered the connectors of the ribbon cables. Please take note that the 4 screws are of different sizes. You must make sure they go to the proper places, otherwise the screws may damage the main board underneath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.