Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P01ndexter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
I use android now, so the last thing I jailbroken was a 4s running 8.x.x but now I have been given a 5s running 10.2 which is in great condition but carrier locked to consumer Cellular and we want straight talk. The guy who gave it to me offered to buy it back if I got it working on ST or att.

I have tried the userland pangu claiming support for 10.2 but not mentioning 16gb model. I tried through 2 websites but when I save the web apps to homescreen they only open the website when tapped. They do not launch any type of JB. Am I doing something wrong? Is it incompatible with 16gb model? What about Yalu, is it compatible, or should I say, has anyone had luck using it on 16gb?

Can a carrier unlock still be obtained through Cydia? Is it even worth it to JB? I guarantee if he buys it back he will never even use an email app, as he is old, so unless I need it to unlock, I could do without the JB.

What about a turbosim? Has anyone had luck with that? It worked for me once before straight talk allowed iPhones, but I've not touched it since then. Can a 3 dollar rsim 9 plus or 10 plus save me the frustration for a measley 3 dollars? If so, we have a winning option

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can JB an iphone but jailbreaking does NOT equal carrier unlocking.
There has been no software JB carrier unlock since the iphone 4 back in 2010.
Not sure about gevey turbo sims. Those used to work years ago but not sure if there's an option that unlocks the specific device and ios version.
Consumer cellular will not unlock it for you?

Last edited:

P01ndexter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
I'm pretty sure someone still owes money on the phone through consumer Cellular, so I don't think they'd unlock it. Maybe they'll even come to it's GPS location and ask for it back, I wouldn't know. I only pay cash for phones, no payment plans. Just for ***** and giggles, I think I'll try the turbosim. I looked up compatible turbosims and the rsim 9 plus claims to work up to 5s and the rsim 10 plus claims compatibility with 5-7. The 9 plus costs 3$ so if it doesn't work I'm not out much money. I've found very little about using the turbosims online though, so I'd say my expectations are that it'll 50 50 work or not work

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'm pretty sure someone still owes money on the phone through consumer Cellular, so I don't think they'd unlock it. Maybe they'll even come to it's GPS location and ask for it back, I wouldn't know. I only pay cash for phones, no payment plans. Just for ***** and giggles, I think I'll try the turbosim. I looked up compatible turbosims and the rsim 9 plus claims to work up to 5s and the rsim 10 plus claims compatibility with 5-7. The 9 plus costs 3$ so if it doesn't work I'm not out much money. I've found very little about using the turbosims online though, so I'd say my expectations are that it'll 50 50 work or not work

Just make sure you check what ios version your iphone is and up to what ios versions the turbo sim unlocks.
Every device and ios version along with baseband version are different.
So if one says it unlocks up to ios 9 then dont buy it.
Apple updates the baseband with each ios version and makes those turbo sim adapters useless so make sure you verify.

ktjensen

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Similar situation. Local was selling a CDMA sprint iphone 5S. But it will not work on Verizon even though that's CDMA too. They have a whitelist agreement. One phones can't work on other system. Even if unlocked. Plus the sprint Iphone5s likely would activate on straight talk but to sprint towers only. So be careful on all this.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Similar situation. Local was selling a CDMA sprint iphone 5S. But it will not work on Verizon even though that's CDMA too. They have a whitelist agreement. One phones can't work on other system. Even if unlocked. Plus the sprint Iphone5s likely would activate on straight talk but to sprint towers only. So be careful on all this.
What does the fact that Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA and that they both have a whitelist agreement have to do with unlocking?

If it's locked it doesn't matter. You can't take it from carrier to carrier because it's locked to the original carrier.

It's like saying your car key should work in your neighbor's car because it's the exact same model, year and color that you have.

Reactions: Applejuiced

ktjensen

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
What does the fact that Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA and that they both have a whitelist agreement have to do with unlocking?

If it's locked it doesn't matter. You can't take it from carrier to carrier because it's locked to the original carrier.

It's like saying your car key should work in your neighbor's car because it's the exact same model, year and color that you have.

It's unlocked. Completely unlocked according to sprint. Yet will not work on Verizon. Locked or unlocked makes no difference. If the company you want to put this on says no way. Even when they have a BYOP program, your are stuck. Regardless if a seller is truthful and says they sold you an unlocked phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
It's unlocked. Completely unlocked according to sprint. Yet will not work on Verizon. Locked or unlocked makes no difference. If the company you want to put this on says no way. Even when they have a BYOP program, your are stuck. Regardless if a seller is truthful and says they sold you an unlocked phone.

Yep, pretty much that's what sucks the most with CDMA carriers.
Even if the phone is unlocked and cdma capable they dont have to whitelist it and allow it to their network.
They will tell you to buy a phone from them instead. Get that double wack with more money for a new phone and money for their service.
Exclusivity :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.