Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littleharpseal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
3 weeks ago I bought an iPhone 5S and I am worrying about my battery. I had a 4S before and its battery was draining so slow and was charging in 30 minutes and that's why I thought that there could be a problem with my new iPhone. Right now my battery usage is 3 h 30 min. and standby is 20 h and 16 min. It's 46%. I charged it 100% yesterday at 3 p.m. It fully charges in ~2 h. No location services activated, nothing. Now it is connected to Wi-Fi. I used it from time to time with my internet connection 3G on, I sent messages, I used apps such like Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, I browsed the web, I called my mom twice... and I played a game but not for a long period of time (~10 min.). Oh, and I think it drains 1% / min. when I use apps, while when I'm listening music it drains 3% in ~30 min. and when I browse the web 1% / 2 min. but after I lock my phone. Is it normal? o_O

Attachments

• 13293218_258247567898137_1738067697_n.jpg
    13293218_258247567898137_1738067697_n.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Those usage and standby numbers sound fairly decent.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
3 weeks ago I bought an iPhone 5S and I am worrying about my battery. I had a 4S before and its battery was draining so slow and was charging in 30 minutes and that's why I thought that there could be a problem with my new iPhone. Right now my battery usage is 3 h 30 min. and standby is 20 h and 16 min. It's 46%. I charged it 100% yesterday at 3 p.m. It fully charges in ~2 h. No location services activated, nothing. Now it is connected to Wi-Fi. I used it from time to time with my internet connection 3G on, I sent messages, I used apps such like Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, I browsed the web, I called my mom twice... and I played a game but not for a long period of time (~10 min.). Oh, and I think it drains 1% / min. when I use apps, while when I'm listening music it drains 3% in ~30 min. and when I browse the web 1% / 2 min. but after I lock my phone. Is it normal? o_O

As poster mentioned above, it shouldn't be a massive cause for concern. However you could try to download Battery Life from the iOS App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/battery-life-check-internal/id1080930585?mt=8

Can you screenshot what that says please?
[doublepost=1464010861][/doublepost]Oh, and just to make you feel better, this is my battery health on my 5S — it's absolutely buggered.

Just typing this it's gone down 2% in the last 2 minutes. Randomly shuts off at 30%. Drops by 20% at a time — that's bad battery life!

I would get it serviced but have Wi-Fi issues too, so I'll just ride it out until it's unusable. Besides, everybody I know with a 5S has had problems with the battery, so I'm hoping Apple will fix free of charge as they did with the iPhone 5 :D

image.png

Edit: now it's on 31% in 4 minutes. Hope my plight offers some reassurance!

Last edited:

littleharpseal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
As poster mentioned above, it shouldn't be a massive cause for concern. However you could try to download Battery Life from the iOS App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/battery-life-check-internal/id1080930585?mt=8

Can you screenshot what that says please?
[doublepost=1464010861][/doublepost]Oh, and just to make you feel better, this is my battery health on my 5S — it's absolutely buggered.

Just typing this it's gone down 2% in the last 2 minutes. Randomly shuts off at 30%. Drops by 20% at a time — that's bad battery life!

I would get it serviced but have Wi-Fi issues too, so I'll just ride it out until it's unusable. Besides, everybody I know with a 5S has had problems with the battery, so I'm hoping Apple will fix free of charge as they did with the iPhone 5 :D

View attachment 632562

Edit: now it's on 31% in 4 minutes. Hope my plight offers some reassurance!

Thanks a lot, but I'm worried because my iPhone is new... and I didn't expect that to happen so soon.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks a lot, but I'm worried because my iPhone is new... and I didn't expect that to happen so soon.

I wouldn't worry, honestly. Didn't mean to scare you. If the health shows as fine, there's no cause for concern. Batteries will always deplete naturally over time anyway due to how lithium technology works.

If there's any sort of issue with it over the next year, Apple will get it repaired under your warranty anyway.

littleharpseal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I wouldn't worry, honestly. Didn't mean to scare you. If the health shows as fine, there's no cause for concern. Batteries will always deplete naturally over time anyway due to how lithium technology works.

If there's any sort of issue with it over the next year, Apple will get it repaired under your warranty anyway.

This is the last time I will ask a question. I don't want to become obssesed. Now the battery is 61% (usage 1 h 57 min. and standby 13 h 15 min.). I fully charged it at 2 a.m. I used the same apps and I used it with 3G internet connection at school. What do you think about this? It's ok? o_O:)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This is the last time I will ask a question. I don't want to become obssesed. Now the battery is 61% (usage 1 h 57 min. and standby 13 h 15 min.). I fully charged it at 2 a.m. I used the same apps and I used it with 3G internet connection at school. What do you think about this? It's ok? o_O:)

Yeah, that's more than okay. 3G massively drains battery compared to Wi-Fi anyway. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.