Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hannnahelisabeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
The backlight on my phone has been broken for a few days and I can only see the screen very, very dimly. I took it to a repair guy and he said this could be fixed by replacing the whole screen but I wanted to get a second opinion before I spent $80 on it. Is that true?

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
yes, your phone is out of warranty so if they do a good job 80 is worth it. it will cost more if you went right to apple, 120-150 i think (i would check the price online), but at least with apple they provide a warranty for 90 days i believe. if you go with a 3rd party you're basically screwed if something happens because apple wont touch the phone.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Apple out of warranty screen replacement is $129, and comes with a 90 day warranty as lakaiordie stated.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
The backlight on my old iPhone 6 went out earlier this year, screen only visible under direct flashlight. My dad needed a new oTook it to Apple and had them replace the screen, was going to pay $129 but that still didn't fix the problem, they tried two different screens, was told more likely was a resister on the motherboard that went bad and ended up having to pay $299 to replace the entire phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.