Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxK1996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
Today I dropped my iPhone 5s on the floor, the impact caused a lot of cracks on the screen, the screen itself is just black. At first it was still working, the screen was showing light when pressing the lock and home buttons, and the phone itself was also making sounds each time a message or call were received, and I was even able to make calls myself and play music through Siri. A few hours later, the phone turned off, I guess because it was out of battery. But, when I tried charging it, it didn't activate (at least i dont think so, because it didn't vibrate or make any sound). I tried resetting it, which didn't have any effect. When I plugged it into the computer, it instantly recognized it, which means that there is nothing wrong with the charger nor with the charger jack.

I know that I will need a screen replacement, but I would like to know if its just the screen that is not working, and if there is any way I am able to activate it again to at least be able to make calls with it.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
You are required to key in your passcode again after restarting the phone so that's what's stopping you from using the phone through Siri like before it shut off. You can always try your luck to key in the passcode without the display to test if the digitizer still functions.. I would say that it's highly likely for the phone to be fixed by just a screen replacement.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Today I dropped my iPhone 5s on the floor, the impact caused a lot of cracks on the screen, the screen itself is just black. At first it was still working, the screen was showing light when pressing the lock and home buttons, and the phone itself was also making sounds each time a message or call were received, and I was even able to make calls myself and play music through Siri. A few hours later, the phone turned off, I guess because it was out of battery. But, when I tried charging it, it didn't activate (at least i dont think so, because it didn't vibrate or make any sound). I tried resetting it, which didn't have any effect. When I plugged it into the computer, it instantly recognized it, which means that there is nothing wrong with the charger nor with the charger jack.

I know that I will need a screen replacement, but I would like to know if its just the screen that is not working, and if there is any way I am able to activate it again to at least be able to make calls with it.

Unless other damage that has not been specified, it's kind of difficult to make a decision based on your question. I'm assuming you will send it in to Apple for repair or just have it replaced with a new or model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.