Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dabunting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
Packwood WA
Will iPhone 5S mirror full screen directly via USB cable to a portable 14" or 15.6" or smaller USB monitor? Must mirror full iPhone screen but won't be used for movies, games.

Does anyone know whether iPhone 5S screen can be mirrored to USB monitors? Many web statements apparently that iPhone mirrors fine via VGA or HDMI or other methods (possibly limited to 1024 which is big enough), but can't find anyone who has tried via USB.

Low-skilled very low-income friend accustomed to laptop email is moving to HI with solar-only power system. Can only have internet via cellphone as it must serve both phone-handy portability and home email, so not hotspot or laptop. iPhone creating hotspot to laptop much too complicated and expensive for her.

Want to set her up with iPhone-powered laptop(similar) setup. Already have fullsize BT keyboard Logitech multi device keyboard K480 works BEAUTIFULLY with iPhone, Internet discussions say BT mouse will also work perfectly. But need a portable USB-powered monitor to mirror iPhone screen at larger size easier to read.

Am considering monitors: HP ELiteDisplay G8R65A8#ABA 14-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor (but it's reported to slip down flat too frequently), or ASUS MB168B HD Portable USB-Powered Monitor with USB 3.0 (think I've seen also ASUS 169 B & C models, and maybe the 169C model has USB-C. Low USB power requirement is a consideration. Touch screen would be nice but maybe too expensive. But can find no definitive statement that iPhone 5S screen will mirror to USB monitor.

Would use with USB or?? USB-C or USB-3 charger/hub, or 3-way cable.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
I could not mirror the screen of the iphone using usb. I tried it BUT with the ip5 so maybe ram/processor differences matter here? Could not do it thru usb. I think you are trying to do this "Want to set her up with iPhone-powered laptop(similar) setup" and I dont think the iphone allows this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.