Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yamabee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2016
Hi guys, my iPhone 5s (ios 10.0.2) has been shutting down completely randomly (usually when i'm not using it). After it shuts down, I am no longer able to turn it back on (I tried pressing the home+power button). The only way i can get it to work is to plug it into my computer, open itunes and restore the entire thing (itunes tells me that it has detected a phone in recovery mode). After restoring it, it still shuts down. Any ideas? Thanks. Sorry if this has been asked!!

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Go back to iOS 9.3.5 to see if it fixes itself otherwise if it still does it it's either battery or other hardware fault.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Wow, yes I'm surprised it's still signed.
But I highly doubt the iOS version has anything to do with his iPhone keep turning off and need to be restored each time it shuts off.

A lot of weird issues were introduced with iOS 10.x and the fact that it turns on consistently when plugged into the computer hints at a software issue. The easiest way to rule out software (iOS) vs hardware issues is just restore to stable 9.3.5 vs wasting gas and time driving and waiting in line at the Apple store. We're talking about a difference of maybe 30 minutes vs a good half of a day or they might be busy and tell you to come back.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
A lot of weird behaviors were introduced with iOS 10.x. The easiest way to rule out software (iOS) vs hardware issues is just restore to a stable 9.3.5 vs wasting gas and time driving and waiting in line at the Apple store. We're talking about a difference of 30 minutes vs a good half of a day.

I agree he should give it a shot anyway before going to Apple but 99% that kind of behavior is not software related.
Op let us know if you tried restoring to 9.3.5

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
9.3.5 is still signed because 10.x is still work in progress.
It's still signed, it's hard to say exactly why or for how long that will be.
[doublepost=1476766174][/doublepost]
Hi guys, my iPhone 5s (ios 10.0.2) has been shutting down completely randomly (usually when i'm not using it). After it shuts down, I am no longer able to turn it back on (I tried pressing the home+power button). The only way i can get it to work is to plug it into my computer, open itunes and restore the entire thing (itunes tells me that it has detected a phone in recovery mode). After restoring it, it still shuts down. Any ideas? Thanks. Sorry if this has been asked!!
Have you tried holding the lock and home buttons for a longer period of time, like even about half a minute or so?

Reactions: Applejuiced

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Even after a restore in iTunes and it's still shutting off, then its hardware related in my opinion. Even if you called Apple directly, they would likely only suggest a restore from iTunes (Which you clearly did), in which case, send in for repair or make a Genius appointment is your only option(s).

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The fact that it requires a restore suggests this isn't just a power issue. My 5 started shutting down or restarting at "random" times (actually is was usually under heavy load) and that was clearly a battery problem-- got it replaced and all was good.

If you're needing to restore, then something is getting corrupted...

yamabee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2016
Hi. Yes i have tried restoring to ios 9.3.5 and the problem still persists. I will have to go to the apple store and have it checked. Thanks guy for the support!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi. Yes i have tried restoring to ios 9.3.5 and the problem still persists. I will have to go to the apple store and have it checked. Thanks guy for the support!
Sounds like contacting Apple is the way to go.

When you restore, do you use a backup or is it all completely new basically where you start over fresh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.