Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexk848

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Hi there,

I was doing a run this morning and suddenly my iPhone 5s turns off. There's not even the the loading wheel you get when it normally shuts down after running out. Just a black screen, nothing. I try holding down the home button but i get the symbol which tells me to charge it.

There was no warning whatsoever about this, it just turned off. I had at least 40% battery left. The last time I had a problem like this was on a Galaxy S3 Mini back in 2015 - almost exactly the same issue. But this is the first time I've had it on the iPhone.

Is this a problem with the phone or a problem with the power in my house? The phone is used but is only about 8 months old.

Thanks,

Alex

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Check the battery data in the settings app.

See if some apps are using an overly large percentage of battery, that doesn’t fit with how you use the phone.

My wife’s iPhone 6 was doing odd battery things - switching off when 25% battery left, and then being charged to 30% after only minutes on charge.

Facebook and Instagram were listed as using about 40% each which was too high. Removing and reinstalling and the battery meter started working fine.

Shortly after however the iPhone reported it needed a battery service. Apple said it had reached 1000 charge discharge cycles

dtdt123

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2015
When mine and my friends iPhones have done this in the past having a new battery fitted has always sorted it out.

alexk848

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Well, I've just turned it on and it's back to 40%. Odd. I've checked the LCI - should it be white with a dark orange circle?
[doublepost=1510392420][/doublepost]
When mine and my friends iPhones have done this in the past having a new battery fitted has always sorted it out.
Well, I've just turned it on and it's back to 40%. Odd. I've checked the LCI - should it be white with a dark orange circle?

dtdt123

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2015
[doublepost=1510392420][/doublepost]
I think that indicates that it has contacted water at some time.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I think the symptoms you have listed are indicative of a battery that is failing. I had an iPhone 5 that did similar things but a battery replacement fixed it. I am not sure if the water indicator also signals a problem.

alexk848

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
I think the symptoms you have listed are indicative of a battery that is failing. I had an iPhone 5 that did similar things but a battery replacement fixed it. I am not sure if the water indicator also signals a problem.
See the thing is is that I had a samsung a couple of years back that did the EXACT same thing (apart from turning on again so soon) and I tried a battery replacement on that and it didn't work so I'm skeptical about spending money on batteries. But I will contact my local repair centre to get a quote

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.