Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 5S : upgrade to SE or to iPhone 6 Plus

• Upgrade to SE

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • Upgrade to 6 Plus

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Other Models (specify please)

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Hello everyone! I'm thinking of upgrading from my iPhone 5S this year but i'm really thrilled for two models for the moment : iPhone SE and iPhone 6 Plus! So I don't really know well which is the difference between iPhone 5S and SE and from what I've heard from my friends, the 6 Plus still holds the battery usage pretty fine with iOS 10.
So, what are your thoughts? Any suggestions please? I'm much more to productivity apps and not a gamer, so i think most for endurance, standby and battery life!

Feel free to any suggestions please, even for other models or other OS based (Android maybe?!).

Thanks in advance

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Do not waste your money on the 6 plus, it is the biggest POS Apple has put out in quite some time. Get the SE or if you do really want the larger display, get a 6s Plus.

My personal experience, I went from the 6 plus to SE to the 7 and I'm quite happy now.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
upgrade too the iphone 6S pluse you have 2GB of ram vs 1GB of ram in the iphone 6 pluse and you dont want a A8 chip in 2017 get some in newer like a A9 chip
[doublepost=1495461327][/doublepost]
Do not waste your money on the 6 plus, it is the biggest POS Apple has put out in quite some time. Get the SE or if you do really want the larger display, get a 6s Plus.

My personal experience, I went from the 6 plus to SE to the 7 and I'm quite happy now.

agreed the iphone 6 was a flop

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017

As my personal budget is not very "large" I think I might not be able to purchase 6S Plus, so the right alternative would be iPhone SE.
[doublepost=1495462752][/doublepost]
upgrade too the iphone 6S pluse you have 2GB of ram vs 1GB of ram in the iphone 6 pluse and you dont want a A8 chip in 2017 get some in newer like a A9 chip
[doublepost=1495461327][/doublepost]

agreed the iphone 6 was a flop

Wow, didn't know about iPhone 6 that fact! so it's better to stick to SE, but how about battery life?!
[doublepost=1495462857][/doublepost]
I vote for 6S+ also. I just got one over the weekend and I love it! If you are looking to save a little, the Apple online store sells refurbished ones.

think I might not be able to purchase 6S Plus, and where I live, we don't have either Apple Store, and no authorised reseller, so i want more than anything battery life and performance!

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
When I saw the title, I automatically read it as SE or 6s Plus and I was undecided. But realising the choice is SE or 6 Plus, I say definitely SE for the RAM reasons already given.

The battery on the SE is great. In some respects it's the best battery Apple has put in an iPhone (check spec comparison lists on the Apple site).

I'm super happy with my SE.

Reactions: pandi.ruvina

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
From the 2 options you considering, SE hands down.

As my personal budget is not very "large" I think I might not be able to purchase 6S Plus, so the right alternative would be iPhone SE.

If you cant swing the 6s Plus, how about the 6s then? same internals parts as the SE, but with bigger screen...

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
SE would be the better option.

Your 5s currently runs smoother overall than the experience you'd get from the 6 plus, believe it or not. They both are similar internally, as the A8 is like a slightly better A7 just on a smaller node with a higher clock. But the 6 plus has to do extra image processing which really slows the device down, not to mention 1GB of ram (exact same type of ram and speed as the ram in the 5s) whereas the SE has 2GB of newer, faster more power efficient ram. The SE doesn't have to do this and the A9 is much more powerful than the A8. They also have similar cameras front and back. So the only real upgrade in terms of user experience will be an SE unless you want a larger screen. SE also has very good battery life just like 6 plus.

Go with SE

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Definitely go with the SE. If you were considering the 6s Plus, I would say that decision would be a little tough. But the SE will last you longer than the 6 Plus.

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
I just don't see how you can manage with a 4' screen? Of course at one point i had the 5S too. Now that i hv the 7 I'm Looking to upgrade to a 5.1-5.2 inch screen in the future, that is the sweet spot. And since the borders are to be eliminated. The overall dimension won't change on larger screen. Not that SE isn't good, but for current standard a 4 inch it is too small and hard to read. I don't know if future SE also will hv larger screen.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
They also have similar cameras front and back. So the only real upgrade in terms of user experience will be an SE unless you want a larger screen.

Not quite...the SE still has the old 1.2mpv front-facing camera for selfies and FaceTime, whereas the 6s/+ has a 5mp camera (along with force touch).

OP: I'd think long and hard before buying the Plus. Make sure you are ok with the bigger size...just get the 6s+ ( and not the 6+).

SE is a great small phone...very underrated.

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Do NOT get the 6 Plus. SE or 6S/Plus if you can.
The 6 Plus is the "iPad 3" of iPhones. The A8 was fine on the regular 6, but on the 6 Plus, it has to work extra hard in up scaling and downscaling the whole UI. The GPU is not fast enough. The A9 fixed this by improving the GPU performance by a lot.

And the 1GB RAM on the 6 Plus is not helping either.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Not quite...the SE still has the old 1.2mpv front-facing camera for selfies and FaceTime, whereas the 6s/+ has a 5mp camera (along with force touch).

OP: I'd think long and hard before buying the Plus. Make sure you are ok with the bigger size...just get the 6s+ ( and not the 6+).

SE is a great small phone...very underrated.

Hes taking about 6 plus lol...I was comparing 5s (that he is upgrading from) to 6 plus.

Read again. I guess it was a bit confusing on my end as I didn't distinguish properly but I was talking about 5s and 6+, vs SE being more of a true upgrade.

You're right about the 6s/6s plus, but that is not what OP or I were talking about.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
When I saw the title, I automatically read it as SE or 6s Plus and I was undecided. But realising the choice is SE or 6 Plus, I say definitely SE for the RAM reasons already given.

The battery on the SE is great. In some respects it's the best battery Apple has put in an iPhone (check spec comparison lists on the Apple site).

I'm super happy with my SE.

Well this just made my day! Definitely i'm in for the SE.
[doublepost=1495610194][/doublepost]
From the 2 options you considering, SE hands down.

If you cant swing the 6s Plus, how about the 6s then? same internals parts as the SE, but with bigger screen...

God, this decision is being difficult every single comment :D :D :D, i' more for the battery life and performance, so i'm again, just thinking for...

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Well this just made my day! Definitely i'm in for the SE.
[doublepost=1495610194][/doublepost]

God, this decision is being difficult every single comment :D :D :D, i' more for the battery life and performance, so i'm again, just thinking for...

In that case, go for the SE since its having the best battery life compare to any other iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.