Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Hi,

I just purchased a used iPhone 5s. Phone is in good condition, and everything works fine... apart from the front camera. Camera works, but the picture is VERY foggy – nothing is recognisable.

Looking at the phone's screen, the camera looks "white". The screen itself isn't cracked. But something BEHIND the screen looks shattered
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cw4AAOSwyCZay301/s-l1600.jpg

Is this the camera's lens being shattered? (The phone must have fallen on the top right corner, as it's slightly dented there).
Or could it be moisture from water damage?
Is this easy to repair (change camera?) or should I return the phone?

Would be great to hear your thoughts before I contact the seller...

Thank you!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
First of all, depending on your usage iPhone 5S in 2018 is probably not a good option to go for at all.

Second, if I buy anything from anywhere, I’d rather have everything working as they should. If not then I’ll just return it.

Third, I don’t buy anything off eBay that costs more than £5, but that’s just me.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Well THAT was helpful, thanks so much for that incredible insight on how YOU do things. I've been wandering in the dark all my life and have just been enlightened: Since your avatar says "Genius" maybe I should start doing things the way you do them.

First, different people have different phone usages and different preferences when it comes to size.
Second, see first.
Third, you just answered yourself – maybe that's just you.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Well THAT was helpful, thanks so much for that incredible insight on how YOU do things. I've been wandering in the dark all my life and have just been enlightened: Since your avatar says "Genius" maybe I should start doing things the way you do them.

First, different people have different phone usages and different preferences when it comes to size.
Second, see first.

How about a picture of the camera area.

Sounds like had some water damage and water condensed on the inside of the lens.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I’d send it back if you can. Sounds to me like moisture inside the assembly. Given the age if the phone, it’s not worth fixing.

The 5S is a dinosaur at this point, and when the SE is as cheap as it is I can’t see fighting with this issue.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Second, see first.

On a public forum if you ask what others think about your life choices, then I’m afraid you must be prepared to listen to their thoughts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.