Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valenrandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I have a launch day iPhone 6 that has worked great from the beginning but noticed battery issues around September of last year. Since then it has gotten progressively worse (4 hours total usage) to where I felt I had to do something about it. Early January I downloaded an app that showed battery capacity and state of health and showed my battery was only holding a total charge of around 1300mah vs 1810ma that it should be. Prior to this I would average 7.5 to 8 hours per day of my routine usage.

Naturally I thought this was my issue, my battery was just bad and I was only running on 70+% of my battery. I replaced my battery and confirmed 1810mah and all was well.... so I thought.

My battery now lasts a full 5 hours so I did increase my time by 1 full hour but I feel something is still messing with my phone. I ran 2 easy enough tests to set some base numbers.

Test #1: Use phone as I normally do (some video/facebook/applewatch/music to Airpods/text/ a few calls)
5 hours 10 minutes usage on 17 hours standby time. Battery at 3%

Test #2: Did not use phone but set it so as the display is always on (auto brightness on inside house).
5 hours 30 minutes usage on 6 hours standby time. Battery at 5%

While doing these test I also noticed that under the battery tab I no longer get a breakdown of battery usage per app and time of use per app. This could possibly be a bug as it has been 2 weeks now. There is a message stating :Battery information will be available after using the iPhone for a few minutes".

I'm willing to do a full restore as new to see if maybe its one of my apps or something is corrupt within iOS but I need to see how to proceed with it regarding my Apple Watch and my overall health data.

1. If I restore as new I loose all my health data and do not get that back correct?

2. If I restore as new I would also have to first un pair my Apple Watch. In doing so I would loose all of the watches data as it will be lost during the phones restore as new correct?

3. should I un pair my Apple watch and do a backup to icloud or iTunes, restore as new and then restore from a backup?

I would really hate to lose the last several years of health data so any and all advise would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

valenrandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I ran another unscientific test where I placed the phone on "low power" mode at 100% charge in the morning. There were no running apps and the screen was set to autolock after a minute so for the entire time the screen was off and the phone received a couple of alerts/messages (15 total) during the day.

When I stopped the test 12 hours later, the phone battery was at 75%.

Looks like 2 days standby time while on power saver mode on.....

valenrandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
After 24 hours, the phone is at 48% battery and this is without any type of use other than a couple of notifications/texts.

Last edited:

valenrandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
After 36 hours the phone is at 26% battery remaining and other than a few messages received, no usage.

Gav.Winters

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Is it an official Apple battery? I imagine you can just back the health data up before restoring if it comes to that.

valenrandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Is it an official Apple battery? I imagine you can just back the health data up before restoring if it comes to that.

Thanks for the reply!

The battery I just put in is not official apple, but I do not suspect it is the battery as it tests good and this was the same basic behavior I had prior to the new battery.

As of 4am this morning my iPhone was dead. looks like I received about 2 days worth of standby time with "low power mode" on. I had an additional spare battery that I have now swapped out to do an additional time run with to see if there is a correlation with the batteries and to help me pin point if this is a software issue or possibly hardware other than battery?

I want to hope that its a rouge app or maybe even a curropt file in iOS that is causing this and a fresh clean iOS install may fix it but I really do not want to loose my health/activity/fitness/ & apple watch info.

I need to find a way to somehow extract health info from the phone and watch and transfer it back to the new installation.

valenrandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
My Solution.....

I figured out how to safely remove health/activity and watch data from phone and merge it with a fresh install of IOS.
Even after the fresh install, the battery only lasted just under 4 hours with a dim screen and a video on loop.

Solution?????? Brand new iPhone 7+, It is a pricey solution but a nice upgrade from what I had and on top of that my wife looked a bit sad with her oldy iPhone 6 (which still works fine) so I got her one as well.

I restored from a backup that had all of my normal stuff and ran the 7+ through a timed test. 11 hours of use with 4% left. FANTASTIC!

Interesting note though, I placed my old iP6 on airplane mode and left wifi on. From Saturday through this morning it has only lost 15% of battery. Could it have been the cell radio???

Thanks.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
The battery on my iPhone 6 bit it right around Sept. last year also. It'll go from 40% down to 20 then down to 2... all within 5 minutes. I haven't DL'd a battery app yet but when my wife's 6s started doing the EXACT SAME THING, we got the battery replaced by Apple under the extended warranty. I found this thread in searching on the issue. I want to put a new battery in and let my kid have it to play around with (I have a 7+) but I don't know if that'll really solve the problem.

As a side note, if I put mine in airplane mode, I can get like 1.5 weeks of standby on it.... hmmm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.