Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jrench_36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2016
So, I messed up. I have replaced about 15 iPhone screens before and have never had any problems. This time i forgot to disconnect the battery.... i think i made a $600 mistake. The phone will not turn on with the old screen or the new screen and when i plug it in to iTunes it is not recognized. Furthermore, its not being recognized by my computer either. I tried to do a hard reset... no luck. I disconnected the battery and held down the power button for 20 seconds bc someone told me to.. no luck. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Jrench_36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Put the old screen back on and take it in to an Apple store? I dont know if this suggestion will work but maybe its worth a try?

Yeah.. I've been thinking about doing that. I just have a bad feeling that they are going to tell me that its going to cost an absurd amount of money to replace.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My bet is that a cable was either torn or is not seated properly. Nothing about what you're saying should cause a permanent brick.

Do you have another battery you could swap in? Could be a battery issue too.

Last edited:

Jrench_36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2016
My bet is that a cable was either torn or is not seated properly. Nothing about what you're saying should cause a permanent brick.

Do you have another battery you could swap in? Could be a battery issue too.

I've checked all the cables multiple times with no sight of damage. However, cables are cheap so i could just order new ones. No battery on hand, but would it be worth it to order one just to check?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I've checked all the cables multiple times with no sight of damage. However, cables are cheap so i could just order new ones. No battery on hand, but would it be worth it to order one just to check?
To be clear, in referring to the cables internally. Those that connect the screen to the rest of the hardware.

That's just what it sounds like to me. I haven't worked too extensively in iPhones but I have done other products like gaming consoles and handhelds. 9.5 times out of 10 if its not working right when I put it back to get her it's either something I damaged (usually a cable) or something I forgot to plug in.

BluesMessiah

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2019
So, I messed up. I have replaced about 15 iPhone screens before and have never had any problems. This time i forgot to disconnect the battery.... i think i made a $600 mistake. The phone will not turn on with the old screen or the new screen and when i plug it in to iTunes it is not recognized. Furthermore, its not being recognized by my computer either. I tried to do a hard reset... no luck. I disconnected the battery and held down the power button for 20 seconds bc someone told me to.. no luck. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

I just did the same thing last night. What I get for trying this after a long day. I can't believe I didn't unplug the battery. Did you ever get this working again or was it toast?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.