Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madnoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
Hi folks.
This morning I woke up 2 hours late for my work only to realize that my iPhone 6 is not turning on.
I can't get to the apple logo, can't hard-restart it, can't get any response from charging nor plugging it in to my PC/iTunes.
It worked fine when I watched a video before I went to bed last night, but something happened and it died on me.
Model is iPhone 6 (A1586) and it's a 4 year old perfectly working device - no scratchs / damages , never really droppped , perfect mint condition.
What happened? Is it possible that the battery died completely? I really hope it is because I NEED to save that phone.

Last edited:

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
The most likely solution...and the one you would try first anyway, is to replace the battery. You can do this yourself by following the guides on iFixit or bring it to a shop or and Apple Store.

madnoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
The most likely solution...and the one you would try first anyway, is to replace the battery. You can do this yourself by following the guides on iFixit or bring it to a shop or and Apple Store.
I see, but can the battery die like that all of a sudden with no signs of dying? I mean the battery did degrade in it's capacity, but it wasn't that big of a deal...

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Sure it can...batteries degrade over time and at a certain point, they can no longer deliver the juice required to boot the device. All that said, your problem could also be logic board related, especially when people use cheap dollar-store chargers as they can damage the charge circuit and fry the logic board.

However, the first thing to try is the battery, it is the weakest link in the chain.

madnoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
Sure it can...batteries degrade over time and at a certain point, they can no longer deliver the juice required to boot the device. All that said, your problem could also be logic board related, especially when people use cheap dollar-store chargers as they can damage the charge circuit and fry the logic board.

However, the first thing to try is the battery, it is the weakest link in the chain.
I charge it with nothing else but it's original cable / charger.
Let's say it's not the battery and it's the logic board, would I be able to replace it without losing my OS and files? I have my 2FA authenticator app and if I lose that I might as well kill myself >_< .

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
The logic board IS the phone. Everything you hold dear is on (or inside) the logic board. If you replace the logic board, you have a new phone.

Start with the battery, that's the most likely solution. If not, then a micro-soldering tech can either try to fix the board or make it work enough to recover the data.

If you have something that critical on your device, you should have a backup plan. It's silly to have something so critical tied to a system that has a SPOF.

madnoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
I mean sure it's silly, but I trusted my phone, kept it nice and tidy, never dropped it / damaged it, it's in pristine condition and worked absolutely perfect like it was out of the box considering how old it is.
If the logic board died, well I'll smash it to hell.
Thanks for the insight my man.

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
I didn't want to offend you with my "silly" comment...my point is no matter how much care you give to your device, you could lose it, have it stolen or have any number of nightmare scenarios occur to it despite your best efforts. If the device contains critical info, then you should always bave a backup plan.

Let us know what was the problem with your device, I pretty confident it's the battery and you'll be okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.