Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty3026

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
Hey guys, a friend of mine (yeah, i know how this sounds, it's not me for real )had left some chocolate along with his iphone in his pocket and the chocolate had melted. When he took out his phone the speakers, microphone and lightning port were filled up with chocoloate that's hardened. My question is whether i can melt it and clean it with rubbing alcohol or sth? He says that there is still sound coming out although very quiet.. I'd love to hear any suggestions
Thanks!

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Hey guys, a friend of mine (yeah, i know how this sounds, it's not me for real )had left some chocolate along with his iphone in his pocket and the chocolate had melted. When he took out his phone the speakers, microphone and lightning port were filled up with chocoloate that's hardened. My question is whether i can melt it and clean it with rubbing alcohol or sth? He says that there is still sound coming out although very quiet.. I'd love to hear any suggestions
Thanks!
If it's your "friend" and not you, why are you the one cleaning it?

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Because he doesn't really know much about electronics and i'm a friend so i wanted to help. And he may have offered me 20 bucks:D
I recommend low heat blow dryer, even if it takes time. Then, try to use a toothpick or just corner of tissue or napkin to wipe it off. Probably won't get it all out, but if you get some and then let it harden again, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Chocolate is fat and for me you should clean it with alcohol for electronics and if it got somehow inside clean it with hypersonic bath...

If you only melt it parts will be still there. For sure don't charge it now ;-)

marty3026

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
Some nice replies here lol. Will try melting and cleaning with alcohol. Thanks

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Try freezing and picking out with toothpicks. Rather than spreading the greasy chocolate around. It might adhear to itself more than the phone. And come out of crevices in larger chunks.

Reactions: 5105973

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Probably too late... But i'd melt it, then try to absorb/encapsulate it using Tapioca Maltodextrin. Then blow it out with canned air. (Or, more realistically, more easily then scrape it off.)

Only reason this came to mind was I was going to make some powdered Nutella to sprinkle on a Christmas dessert, but realized too late I didn't have the Nutella...

(Yes, I have made powdered Nutella before. Now, I need to go out and buy a jar a Nutella. And it gave me the inspiration to try powdered butter, should be a nifty way of buttering your toast! BTW, this is the only SANE use of Nutella. It's just TOO MUCH in it's original form...)

http://www.molecularrecipes.com/techniques/converting-high-fat-liquids-powder/

Don't blame me if it just makes it worse! Usually you get to powder by breaking-up what results, either by hand mixing, or using a food processor (best).

If the iPhone is actually unusable, you could use it in a "can it blend" experiment, and wind up with powdered chocolate to boot!

BTW, there actually is a dessert shop nearby called iDessert. I am waiting for them to get the letter from Apple's lawyers. It's not just the name - their logo uses the same typeface that Apple uses, and has an "app" icon shape!

As this is in San Diego, perhaps Apple is reluctant, due to the negative publicity received by Saks Fifth Avenue a few years ago, when they sued a local resale shop for trademark infringement. The name of the shop was "Sacks Fifth Avenue". It was located on 5'th.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.