Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcallows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I've had my iPhone a little over a year and now it won't power on. It wasn't dropped, submerged in water or damaged in anyway. It still looks new. Tech support said it's a hardware issue and ask me to bring it in. Since it's a few months past warranty and the most likely solution is to replace it, does anyone know what it would cost me to replace it through the Apple repair department? Is the same as buying a new one through their retail store? Or is this a common problem that Apple intends to extend their standard warranty for and replace it without charge?

Thanks.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
I'm sure they asked you to 'hold down both the power and home buttons for 10 seconds to attempt hard reset it right? Try holding the buttons down for 30+ seconds and see if anything happens. Second, what happens when you plug the device into a charger? Nothing ? As for your real question, it depends on what's wrong with it. It could be as simple as a bad battery, or the device may need replacement.

jcallows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I'm sure they asked you to 'hold down both the power and home buttons for 10 seconds to attempt hard reset it right? Try holding the buttons down for 30+ seconds and see if anything happens. Second, what happens when you plug the device into a charger? Nothing ? As for your real question, it depends on what's wrong with it. It could be as simple as a bad battery, or the device may need replacement.
Yep, did all that. Nothing.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Yep, did all that. Nothing.

Hmm I only mentioned it because users report similar issues and the extended button press is what woke up the phone. If it doesn't even boot when it's on a charger or plugged into a PC then going down to Apple is the best choice. As for cost, it all depends on what failed. I've seen Apple replace devices that are no longer being made, but this isn't the case for the 6 yet. Hopefully It's something simple like a fried battery.

jcallows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Hmm I only mentioned it because users report similar issues and the extended button press is what woke up the phone. If it doesn't even boot when it's on a charger or plugged into a PC then going down to Apple is the best choice. As for cost, it all depends on what failed. I've seen Apple replace devices that are no longer being made, but this isn't the case for the 6 yet. Hopefully It's something simple like a fried battery.
Is there a cost just for them to take a look at it?

Reactions: StarkCity

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Is there a cost just for them to take a look at it?

A Genius Bar appointment along with a few minutes of a tech trying everything you already did won't......or shouldn't. But they're not going to fix it that easy. I believe they'll say it needs to be 'sent in' .....not sure from there what will happen.

jcallows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
A Genius Bar appointment along with a few minutes of a tech trying everything you already did won't......or shouldn't. But they're not going to fix it that easy. I believe they'll say it needs to be 'sent in' .....not sure from there what will happen.

Ok thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.