Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Hi, my iPhone 6 (not Plus) sometimes freaks out and controls itself without any action on my part. And sometimes it does not respond at all to my input. Tweaking, or "bending" the phone usually fixes it temporarily. I do not see any lines or flickering on the screen. Screen has no cracks. I've had this phone since new. It has the Apple leather case and I have, unfortunately, dropped it a few times. Apple support tech says the phone's diagnostics shows no hardware problems so this may be a software issue. They want me to try to restore phone to factory settings, however, I'm afraid that would just be a waste of my time. Can anyone comment on this? Is it toast? Is it worth attempting to reset to factory settings? HELP!! Thanks :)

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
The idea of a restore to factory settings is to reboot the phone afterwards, don't apply your old backup, but try to reproduce the issue. If the issue is still there it is likely to be a hardware problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.