Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinAlt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
so on Monday, I woke up to my phone on the floor of my tent, in a puddle on the charger, what can I do. I tried to reboot by holding power and home and a white screen with a black apple logo appeared for like 1 second, nothing since then.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Put the phone in a gallon ziplock bag full of rice for a couple of days and see if it dries out?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
so on Monday, I woke up to my phone on the floor of my tent, in a puddle on the charger, what can I do. I tried to reboot by holding power and home and a white screen with a black apple logo appeared for like 1 second, nothing since then.
Trying to use it while wet isn't a good idea. If there aren't any repair shops you can take it to to have it looked at, best thing is try to dry it out as much as possible over a period of a few days and then try to see if it works.

Last edited:

AxlTJ

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2018
My phone was dropped in a basin of water a few months ago. I didn't try the "rice" method but I had it taken to a repair shop so that the device will be opened and cleaned thoroughly. The phone is back up and running since then.

Don't just let it dry out because rust could still form on the inside. Best move is to get it to a repair shop or you can do it yourself, if you know how.

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
The worst thing you can do is to try and power on a visibly wet device. This is followed closely by Rice because it does nothing but gives you the illusion that it may be helpful while letting corrosion damage the logic board. The next worst thing you can do is to do nothing...but at least you don't have any false illusions ;).

Seriously, if you care about the data or the phone, get it to a shop that specializes in water damage/data recovery. They will have the proper tools (ultrasonic bath) and skills (micro-soldering) to "maybe" revive the phone or at least get your data.

If you can't do that, then open the device, remove the logic board, remove the shields (if you can - some are cloth) and put the logic board in some >90% pure IPA and let it soak; this will help to displace the water. Brush away any visible corrosion and then let it air dry; if your fortunate, this may be enough. If this does work, then get the data while you can because you never know how long a water damaged phone will last.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Good point about the rust concern. I haven’t gotten a phone wet yet, but I’ve had a leaky watch that I took to the watchmaker immediately to get it cleaned and oiled to prevent rust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.