Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MangoPapi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2016
Hey everyone!

First time posting here so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section.

I currently have a Samsung S5 but deciding to try out the iPhone 6 (not the 6s). My only real concern is that I watch a lot of movies/tv shows on my Samsung. Because it's Android I have a lot of options other than Netflix to watch newly updated shows and movies (Apps like ShowBox). I was wondering if there are any apps like ShowBox or Popcorntime for the iPhone that I can use to watch movies/shows.

Also, my other main problem holding me back from wanting to buy an iPhone 6 is that with my Samsung I have split screen so I can watch my movie while texting other ppl. I also have the option of video pop out. I was wondering if the iPhone 6 running on ios9 (or maybe even ios 10 if iPhone 6 gets it) allows me to watch movies/shows while simultaneously text people? Or would I have to switch form one app to the other constantly?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help!

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
I'm not sure what Showbox is, but there appears to be an app; if it's the correct developer.

Popcorn Time has an official iOS app.

VLC for iOS will allow you to play almost any video stored on the device or on a network.

The biggest headache is having to use iTunes to transfer files to phone storage if you want them locally.

Neither iOS 9 or upcoming 10 support split-screen for apps. However, iOS message notifications allow you to view and respond to messages without leaving the app you are in. So back and forth, one-on-one conversations will be fairly seamless without switching. But most cases require switching apps on iOS for phone.
[doublepost=1466876850][/doublepost]Oh... Also you cannot watch a video while doing something outside the app on iPhone. That's reserved for iPad currently.

MangoPapi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2016
I'm not sure what Showbox is, but there appears to be an app; if it's the correct developer.

Popcorn Time has an official iOS app.

VLC for iOS will allow you to play almost any video stored on the device or on a network.

The biggest headache is having to use iTunes to transfer files to phone storage if you want them locally.

Neither iOS 9 or upcoming 10 support split-screen for apps. However, iOS message notifications allow you to view and respond to messages without leaving the app you are in. So back and forth, one-on-one conversations will be fairly seamless without switching. But most cases require switching apps on iOS for phone.
[doublepost=1466876850][/doublepost]Oh... Also you cannot watch a video while doing something outside the app on iPhone. That's reserved for iPad currently.
[doublepost=1466877778][/doublepost]Hey thanks for the quick reply.

Showbox is like Netflix, just for free. It's absolutely amazing! I didn't know Popcorn Time is now an iOS app so that's a pleasant surprise.

Even though I have a Mac, I've never used iTunes so I know that's going to take me some time to adjust.

As for the messages, if I understand right, I can just pull down the notification tray and reply back to the message without having to pause or leave my movie? I know you said "most cases" can you just give me some common examples of when I have to switch apps to reply to a msg?

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
[doublepost=1466877778][/doublepost]
As for the messages, if I understand right, I can just pull down the notification tray and reply back to the message without having to pause or leave my movie? I know you said "most cases" can you just give me some common examples of when I have to switch apps to reply to a msg?

You're correct about the pull down action.

If you are messaging multiple people, you will not be able to use th pull down method for every text as they are coming in. Each notification is replaced by the latest incoming. If you are already responding to a message when another comes in, you'll hear sound/feel vibration/etc but you won't get a pull down option once you've completed the message you are responding to when it came in.

Once a notification is on the notification tray, there is no respond option from the tray. The only option is to go to the messages app.
[doublepost=1466878293][/doublepost]iTunes isn't complicated, but it's bloated. And it's not straight-forward how to add files to apps, such as transferring movies to VLC. Once you know how it's done it's easy, but time consuming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.