Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barbrady123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
Hi, I typically don't use iPhones so hopefully you guys can help, as our supposed iPhone "expert" here has never seen this before.

I have a client who has a webhosting service setup that also provides email accounts. I have setup 3 email accounts for the client under this domain. If I use the web client to access the individual accounts they work as expected.

However, I setup one of the iPhones my client intends to use for an employee, and had to do everything manual (account type "other") because of course this is not one of the major providers (Gmail, Exchange, Yahoo, etc).

The setup went fine and send/receive works. However, instead of creating a single "Inbox" that receives mail from the account I configured, the account shows what I can only call "sub folders" in the main Inbox window....and each subfolder is named one of the 3 addresses I configured for the domain.

I have no idea how the phone is even aware of the other addresses. It's as if it queried the server and got a list of all the email addresses setup on that domain, then automatically created folders for them under the account. I have never seen this occur before, and neither has our Apple guy here. Any ideas how this could happen or how I could fix it...as this is not desired behavior.

I have gone through every option possible on the web portal of the hosting service and I see no options that would have anything to do with some sort of "shared" account or an external client's ability to query for all accounts. I also see nothing unusual on the iPhone in the configuration for the account...there is the email info (for one specific address), the incoming setup, and the outgoing setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Ok, I should mention that also there was an email (sent as a test) to all 3 addresses, from an external address (Yahoo) to test the Incoming server settings. Is it possible that because iPhone received an email to the address + 2 CC's...it somehow created folders based on the CC'd addresses? That would make more sense that it somehow being aware of the other addresses. If so, is there a way to disable this display so that it doesn't look like folders of different addresses, and just shows a normal single Inbox in the list (as it does for our other accounts on the phone such as yahoo, google, etc.) ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.