Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I'm thinking I need an urgent battery replacement for my 6 Plus. The same exact thing is starting to happen to my 6 Plus - the same signs almost exactly 2 years ago with my old iPhone 5..at the time I didnt know it was a battery.

Phone is feeling warmer than usual, the charge is dropping faster..and I noticed on my screen an odd light spot. when I press it...the LCD expands, as if something below the screen is putting pressure on it. All the signs like before. I removed the Apple silicone case, and bingo..the screen is bulging. ugh. (Pictured)

The one place called "UFixIt", they did a decent job 2 years ago...the guy identified the problem in 5 seconds...even opening it in front of me and the battery looked like a darn balloon ready to pop! Unlike when I brought it to Apple store the day before and they simply said "You nee a new screen." The 'Genius" totally blew me off. But I see UFixIt charges $100 to replace the 6 Plus battery [far more expensive than the $50 2 years ago on the old phone] Apple charges $79 (My Apple Care of course expired back in Sept 2015)

Question is, anyone ever simply walk into an Apple store..stating you need the battery replaced and get it done in 20 min, maybe 1 hour? Or do you need to set up an appointment and hope they get to your phone that same day? What is with these Lithium batteries, I never had this issue before with any phone..even iPhone 1 and 4. Now back to back phone batteries on the verge of blowing up..:mad:

1IiXjnt.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm thinking I need an urgent battery replacement for my 6 Plus. The same exact thing is starting to happen to my 6 Plus - the same signs almost exactly 2 years ago with my old iPhone 5..at the time I didnt know it was a battery.

Phone is feeling warmer than usual, the charge is dropping faster..and I noticed on my screen an odd light spot. when I press it...the LCD expands, as if something below the screen is putting pressure on it. All the signs like before. I removed the Apple silicone case, and bingo..the screen is bulging. ugh. (Pictured)

The one place called "UFixIt", they did a decent job 2 years ago...the guy identified the problem in 5 seconds...even opening it in front of me and the battery looked like a darn balloon ready to pop! Unlike when I brought it to Apple store the day before and they simply said "You nee a new screen." The 'Genius" totally blew me off. But I see UFixIt charges $100 to replace the 6 Plus battery [far more expensive than the $50 2 years ago on the old phone] Apple charges $79 (My Apple Care of course expired back in Sept 2015)

Question is, anyone ever simply walk into an Apple store..stating you need the battery replaced and get it done in 20 min, maybe 1 hour? Or do you need to set up an appointment and hope they get to your phone that same day? What is with these Lithium batteries, I never had this issue before with any phone..even iPhone 1 and 4. Now back to back phone batteries on the verge of blowing up..:mad:

1IiXjnt.jpg
I walked in to replace a lightning cable for my wife's iPhone 5 in 2014. Genius happened to notice my own iPhone 5 was bulging from the battery (I was unaware of the issue at the time). Genius replaced the phone free of charge.

I mentioned this to a few other people who had issues here and at least two of those got their iPhone 5's replaced out of warranty free of charge.

Maybe you had a cranky genius that day you went in. I'd try again and see what Apple does for you. You can always say no if it's not what you want them to do.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Thanks Eyeoungen, already taken care of. :) I suppose I did get a cranky employee 2 years ago. I walked into the Apple store at 10:15am...only 3 other people in the store. They were able to look at it immediately and swapped the battery for free. The battery was in the early stages of "ballooning." Once it's 'balloons' and the seal is compromised..that's it, the battery is in imminent danger of total failure, exploding.

He even stated he's beginning to seeing a trend of the 2014 6, 6+ models have a battery failing issue like this. Great. So..IDK, we may have another battery recall coming soon?

I suppose in a way I'm glad I had the problem 2 years ago and knew the signs before this problem became much worse.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, when they replaced my 5 there was no battery recall. They simply did it. Which is why I suggested seeing Apple to the others outside of warranty that were experiencing the same issue.

Apple's very unpredicatable as to what they will or will not recall.

Like you though, I am also glad to now be informed as to the symptoms of this particular problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.