Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does it make sense to glue the screen back?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

HercHimself

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2018
Republic of Belarus
I have an iPhone 6 plus which has its screen coming off for sometime now. The screen was replaced after I broke the original one a year ago.
Now I have visited a few repair shops and have been told that the battery is fine. And the screen can either be glued back or replaced.
Two of them have warned that while they can glue back the screen, there is a high chance that it will not work after that. They are saying that there is a glass chip that will most probably break and cannot be replaced. Is it true?

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Screens that "separate", that is the glass lifts off the plastic frame, are generally cheap screens that are held together with, quite literally, hot glue or double sided tape. Higher quality replacement screens are bonded together with a cold-press glue process which is much stronger.

Now if the battery is bad and starts expanding like a microwave popcorn bag, then pretty much any quality screen will start to delaminate or separate. But if you battery is fine and the screen is just naturally separating, you need to replace it with a better quality replacement screen.

Most people assume that there is no difference between a shop that charges $50 versus a shop that charges $100 other than one shop trying to gouge them. While that may be true in some cases, generally speaking you get what you pay for and shops that charge bottom dollar are installing bottom of the barrel parts.

I wouldn't bother trying to fix the cheap screen and go to a reputable shop that will offer you a high quality part and a solid warranty...or go to the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.