Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jprint714

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Just bought an iPhone 6S, and I've got insurance for it.

Even though I've got insurance for it, I'm wondering what the best case is for me. I mostly live an urban lifestyle, but I do periodically live in Montana and have dropped a phone in the river. In the past I've owned LifeProof cases, but is that overkill if I have insurance? Is there another case that's suitable, and maybe not quite as bulky? Also, I once owned a LifeProof Nuud case -- the one without the screen protector because it supposedly had gorilla glass that doesn't scratch. But now, it seems the glass on this iPhone 6S is already scratching! So, what would be a good solution?

Thanks!

roniphon

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2015
I think that you need to search some waterproof phone case (assuming you are going to drop your Iphone into the river ;) ).
Depends on the style and amount of budget you have you can chose various options.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I have used Lifeproof Fre cases on all of my phones. I have experimented with a few other cases but always return to the Fre.

jprint714

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Thanks for your suggestion!

Yeah, I hear you about LifeProof Fre... I was hoping the Nuud would be out for the 6S by now, but no such luck (maybe because they've discovered that the 6S scratches easily!). I'm considering an alternative case to the LifeProof because it's so bulky (well, that plus the fact that I've got insurance, so I LifeProof case feels excessive).

I checked out the Ghostek Atomic 2. Bottom line: It's very attractive, and certainly slimmer than that LifeProof cases, but I've read that it's not super sturdy - and the call quality is diminished by the case.

Any other ideas / suggestions?

Thanks!

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Thanks for your suggestion!

Yeah, I hear you about LifeProof Fre... I was hoping the Nuud would be out for the 6S by now, but no such luck (maybe because they've discovered that the 6S scratches easily!). I'm considering an alternative case to the LifeProof because it's so bulky (well, that plus the fact that I've got insurance, so I LifeProof case feels excessive).

I checked out the Ghostek Atomic 2. Bottom line: It's very attractive, and certainly slimmer than that LifeProof cases, but I've read that it's not super sturdy - and the call quality is diminished by the case.

Any other ideas / suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm not sure who says it isn't that sturdy? I attached 2 great reviews dispelling that notion

jprint714

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Ok, I get your point. Was just relaying the online reviews I read.

What about the sound quality, though? That seems to be a consistent criticism of the case...

I've heard that the Triennium Ultra Protective Case (Duranium Series) is similar to the Ghostech - but better sound quality, but with less waterproofing (good water resistantancn, though).

Thoughts? Happy to consider any other solutions...

Thanks again!

jprint714

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
I'm not sure who says it isn't that sturdy? I attached 2 great reviews dispelling that notion

Yeah, I dunno, man... The more I read reviews on that case the more I read trouble. Seems like the call quality is a bit iffy for some users, and I've ready about other issues: It supposedly doesn't work well with 3rd party cables, you need to use their adapter to use the headset (way too fussy, if true), and some people have even said it's hard as hell to use the silent button. Dunno...

I'll keep looking for something that could be a bit more reliable. Would be great if there were sometime like an LifeProof lite out there! Thanks for your help, though... Really do appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.