Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrineethR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
Bangalore, India
I recently got a pre-owned iPhone 6s Plus 64GB running iOS 10.1.1, and I've noticed that:

• When I'm videochatting using Facebook Messenger, the battery drains at a rate of about 1% every 25-30 seconds, while I'm connected to Wi-Fi, at minimum screen brightness.
  • When I open the camera app and shoot pictures, the battery drains at 1% every 1 minute, and 1% every 30-40 seconds while capturing video footage.
  • When I used Snapchat for around 2 minutes, my battery jumped from 32% to 19%.

My usage of social media apps are quite minimal, and the Background App Refresh for all of these are turned off.

I have the Background App Refresh on only for Gmail.

The battery seems alright, at around 2400mAh being it's full charge capacity, which is around 88% of the designed capacity.

So, I'm not sure what's wrong, and I'm really looking for some help.

Thanks a ton, in advance!
happy.png

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
My iPhone 6s Plus, which I got on launch day, has recently started doing this. Basically dropping 1% every 30 seconds or so while using (I particularly noticed it while using Safari).

Doesn't shut off early, just drains really fast.

PrineethR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
Bangalore, India
My iPhone 6s Plus, which I got on launch day, has recently started doing this. Basically dropping 1% every 30 seconds or so while using (I particularly noticed it while using Safari).

Doesn't shut off early, just drains really fast.
Exactly!
I think that it's safe to assume that iOS10 may be the reason as to why this is happening.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Exactly!
I think that it's safe to assume that iOS10 may be the reason as to why this is happening.
May be. I recall similar types of reports in the early days of iOS 9 and I think even 8 and 7.

Talukdar

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2015
Rebooting is the oldest cliche in troubleshooting. Because it works. Sometimes a good reset is all that's needed to kick bad bits loose. You can try it first. Check you're enough lucky or not.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
My iPhone 6s Plus suddenly shut down this morning half way through writing a text message. And I'd only switched it on 5 minutes beforehand so don't tell me a re-boot will fix it. It's never happened before so was a bit of a surprise. It's a 6s Plus so not covered under the battery replacement and, yes, something that happens once is hardly a problem. Yet. Is a bit of a worry nonetheless.

I've also noticed the fast battery draining, however that's almost certainly down to iOS 10. Gone are the days when Apple thoroughly bug tested their software before release. Oh, and updated their (Mac) hardware regularly. Happy days...

Last edited:

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
What does the red bar at 28.2% tell me ?
The current battery capacity?
That red bar is the battery health which means your battery is knackered and needs replacing. The design capacity for the battery is 1810mAh and the max capacity for your battery is 510mAh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.