Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you sit your iPhone 6S plus on a desk (both screen up and down), does it sit flat?

• Yes, both screen up and screen down

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No, it see-saws between opposing corners (either screen up or down)

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No, it see-saws between opposing edges (either screen up or down)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Anyone else noticing their 6S plus starting to go a little out of shape?

The truth is, I only noticed when it was sitting on a desk, and it otherwise still operates perfectly.

The phone doesn't sit flat and I can seesaw between two opposing corners (top left and bottom right with the screen facing up).

I usually have the phone in my right trouser pocket and there have been a few times where its size has stopped me from bending over to tie a shoelace or whatever. This may be where the bend has been encouraged...

Apart from that, I haven't deliberately tried to bend it!

Given this, I'd like to ask this question of people who've had the iPhone 6s plus for more than a couple of months...

* EDIT - I should mention that I have a case on my phone which negates the overhand of the camera, and it see-saws both face-up and face-down.

Last edited:

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
My 6s plus looks slightly bent at the volume buttons, but its most likely a optical illusion as it doesn't move when laid flat over edge of a table

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
How would it sit flat when the camera sticks out? Your poll is messed up.
Good point :)

However, I have a simple clear case on mine which negates the camera's overhang.

It also see-saws when laid face-down, so there is something to this...

I've closed the poll now, as it is obviously misleading for users with naked iPhones!

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
how much pressure is being applied to cause this from your pockets??
Nothing too out of the ordinary. I cycle most days with the phone in my trouser pocket, but don't feel it causing any obstruction to movement.

It's definitely a gradual occurrence, but hopefully it doesn't end up shaped like a Pringle!

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Nothing too out of the ordinary. I cycle most days with the phone in my trouser pocket, but don't feel it causing any obstruction to movement.

It's definitely a gradual occurrence, but hopefully it doesn't end up shaped like a Pringle!

have you thought about getting a mount for your iPhone?

EdwardSmith36

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2016
It really sounds amazing, but are they really going to launch it in this year? that's big question for me.

Low country

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2016
South Carolina
So I just bought a new 6s Plus this past Tuesday and have it in the Evutec Carbon Osprey case and I noticed that when my 6sPlus was laying flat on its back in the case that when I would lightly tap out messages on the screen the phone would teeter or rock diagonally corner to corner (opposite corners of camera).

I dismissed this as slight variations in the Evutec case. It's not the granite countertops in my home as they are dead flat according to starrett straight edges.

I then removed the Evutec case and placed my 6s Plus on its back with the camera module just hanging over the edge of the granite enough to clear the camera so the iPhone would sit flat across it's entire back and sure enough, I have quite a twist in the iPhone. Mind you I'm not silly enough to place this phone in any pocket or sit on it.

I got exactly the same readings regardless of where I positioned the iPhone so I'll be swapping this one out on Monday for a replacement. It was either machined improperly in the CNC machines or their jigs were not secured and positioned correctly OR the Series 7000 aluminum is simply stressed and has a natural warp/twist in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.