Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renecek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Hi, today I recorded some videos and I see some hiss there.

If I watch videos on iPhone, I hear it. On Mac don't hear it I think.. Had iPhone 6 64GB and there was no hissing in videos..

or this (regularly hissing, hear only on iPhone)

Thanks for answers.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sounds like a faint hissing to me. It's also to difficult to tell by listening over a video.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
you couldnt have merged this into the mega thread? for real? and lol good luck it's still going to hiss, hiss hiss they all do

Reactions: Newtons Apple

laytonoid

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2016
Yep that's the hiss. I have the same problem on my Wife's iPhone 7+ 32gb Rose gold. Also got it replaced and the replacement had the same problem albeit quieter. Not sure whats up with it but its making me mad.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
Weird that so many can't really hear the hiss.. I heard it clearly when playing back on my computer and it sounds terrible. I'll have it replaced if mine is like yours.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Yep that's the hiss. I have the same problem on my Wife's iPhone 7+ 32gb Rose gold. Also got it replaced and the replacement had the same problem albeit quieter. Not sure whats up with it but its making me mad.

Weird that so many can't really hear the hiss.. I heard it clearly when playing back on my computer and it sounds terrible. I'll have it replaced if mine is like yours.

So you're saying that is the processor making that noise pr something from the back of the phone? It really sounds like the mic.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
So you're saying that is the processor making that noise pr something from the back of the phone? It really sounds like the mic.

Erm, the mic is picking up the noise produced by the phone and recording it as the audio heard in the video footage.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
Then this started with the 5s because I can hear faint white noise on video when I record on the 5s.

Does it resemble the clicking and "CPU" processing noise as heard in the video?

In fact I can hear hissing from my 6s and iPad, but they are much more under control and won't be audible unless you really listen hard in a silent room..

It should only be a problem when you can hear it audibly when laying it on a table, speak to other people on phone or recording videos in a normal usage, recording in a silent room to look for the sound isn't representative of a normal use case, unless you really do record stuff in a perfectly silent room like the piano playing example shown

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Does it resemble the clicking and "CPU" processing noise as heard in the video?

In fact I can hear hissing from my 6s and iPad, but they are much more under control and won't be audible unless you really listen hard in a silent room..

It should only be a problem when you can hear it audibly when laying it on a table, speak to other people on phone or recording videos in a normal usage, recording in a silent room to look for the sound isn't representative of a normal use case, unless you really do record stuff in a perfectly silent room like the piano playing example shown

I wish the OP would confirm that clicking. It really sounds like a clock. I had the same click in a test I did and realized it was a clock on the wall. Changed rooms and click gone.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I did a video in a quiet room and there was mic static in it. Also did a voice recording and you can still hear plenty of static. The mics in the iphone aren't the greatest

teeejay

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Prague, Czech Republic

If I watch videos on iPhone, I hear it. On Mac don't hear it I think.. Had iPhone 6 64GB and there was no hissing in videos..

Thanks for answers.

I do not know through what headphones is the rest of the crew here listening to your videos, but the hissing noise is quite annoying while you're playing the piano. It's weird, because it appears and disappears quite quickly.

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016

Thanks for answers.

aww thats hissing, awful. I had the same problem. I returned mine for good till they figure this out.

Everybody not hearing it is numb. Maybe its a frequency that older people can not hear!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.