Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of picking up an iPhone some time soon, was eyeing the 7 or 8 (not plus).

Obviously, the announcements for 2018 iPhones are just around the corner (one assumes), hence I was hoping to save a couple of bucks by waiting for the new releases first and then make the purchase.
From previous years, does anyone know how iPhone prices changed after the announcements for new iPhones? In this particular case, how would you expect the iPhone 7 / 8 to change price-wise in September?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

L

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of picking up an iPhone some time soon, was eyeing the 7 or 8 (not plus).

Obviously, the announcements for 2018 iPhones are just around the corner (one assumes), hence I was hoping to save a couple of bucks by waiting for the new releases first and then make the purchase.
From previous years, does anyone know how iPhone prices changed after the announcements for new iPhones? In this particular case, how would you expect the iPhone 7 / 8 to change price-wise in September?

L
Nobody knows, but based on previous years you’d be looking at a 100 £/$ drop vs the current prices. But the addition of a new tier to the fresh models may change that as the 5.8” refreshed X is rumoured to start £100 cheaper than the current model. Though, i’ll believe that when I see it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi everyone,

L

In My opinion, the iPhone 8 will likely be reduced by hundred dollars (Which is traditional), I don’t know that Apple will make storage changes as well to the iPhone 8 or iPhone 7. It’s not often Apple reduces the prices any further than $100, but carriers as well might have even steeper discounts with trade-ins as well.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
This is great stuff everyone, thank you! I'll wait a couple more weeks then and see what happens...
[doublepost=1534659233][/doublepost]
Nobody knows, but based on previous years you’d be looking at a 100 £/$ drop vs the current prices. But the addition of a new tier to the fresh models may change that as the 5.8” refreshed X is rumoured to start £100 cheaper than the current model. Though, i’ll believe that when I see it.

That would be interesting indeed. Personally, I hope they keep the 8 in their line-up, but I expect them to drop the 7 (and most certainly the SE), so the line-up might change significantly.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Personally, I hope they keep the 8 in their line-up, but I expect them to drop the 7 (and most certainly the SE), so the line-up might change significantly.

It’s very possible they could eliminate the iPhone SE and the 6S, (or) retain the 6S and only eliminate the SE. But I disagree that they will eliminate the iPhone 7 from the lineup and Apple will certainly retain the iPhone 8.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
It’s very possible they could eliminate the iPhone SE and the 6S, (or) retain the 6S and only eliminate the SE. But I disagree that they will eliminate the iPhone 7 from the lineup and Apple will certainly retain the iPhone 8.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I know people have been asking for a new SE for a while now, but perhaps, given a significant revamp of the line-up (more significant than in previous years as it appears to be imminent) they'll surprise us.

How many old versions of iPhones did Apple use to keep in their product range? Keeping the 7 and 8 would be two generations, the SE on top would be three, after all.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Current base prices in USD:

$999 iPhone X
$799 iPhone 8 Plus
$699 iPhone 8
$649 iPhone 7 Plus
$549 iPhone 7
$549 iPhone 6s Plus
$449 iPhone 6s
$349 iPhone SE

After the 2018 iPhones are announced/launched I’d expect the iPhone 8 to drop to the iPhone 7 price and iPhone 7 to drop to the 6s price. Maybe something like this:

$999 iPhone X (2018) Plus
$899 iPhone X (2018)
$699 iPhone 6.1”
$649 iPhone 8 Plus
$549 iPhone 8
$549 iPhone 7 Plus
$449 iPhone 7
$349 iPhone SE

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, I suppose you're right. I know people have been asking for a new SE for a while now, but perhaps, given a significant revamp of the line-up (more significant than in previous years as it appears to be imminent) they'll surprise us.

How many old versions of iPhones did Apple use to keep in their product range? Keeping the 7 and 8 would be two generations, the SE on top would be three, after all.
I was surprised to see the 6s retained last year. However, having said that, I can’t remember if the 6 and 6 Plus remained on direct sale from Apple when the 7 launched.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
I agree with the sentiment that it will drop by $100.

When the iPhone 7 was released, it was sold in 32gb, 128gb, and 256gb capacities. When the 8 was released, they reduced the price of the 32gb and 128gb units by $100, but eliminated the 256gb option.

Now, the iPhone 8 comes with 64gb or 256gb capacities. In addition to reducing the prices, Apple might change capacities as well. They might do 64gb and 128gb or 32gb and 128gb. Hopefully, they don't change capacities and just reduce the price, but I wanted to make you aware of this possibility.

If you were most interested in a 256gb iPhone 8 option, I'd be a little more cautious of this.

Reactions: LinusR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.