Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Curly797

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Orange County
I am a long time iPhone user. The last two rounds of iPhones (4 and 6), I've received via the 2 year contract program allowing me to get my phone for free. I only paid tax. I currently own an iPhone 6 outright. My two-year contract with AT&T expires this week.

My goal is figure out a way to get the best bang for my buck by getting the 7 while being able to get the 8 when it comes out next year.

I can't decide what my best option is:
-get the new iPhone 7 for free by trading in my 6 with a AT&T Next Plan. Then wait two years for the 8s in Sept 2018.
-buy a 7 outright then sell it when the 8 comes out. I'd keep my upgrade but then the only phone I would have to trade in would be my current 6. Which I don't think that phone will be an allowable option.
--Do the above and if AT&T doesn't allow my 6 for trade in, could I buy a iPhone 6s then trade it in? My upgrade would still be there.
-I don't want to buy a phone for $325 on the AT&T Every Yr plan. That's expensive. On that option you're always buying a phone.

What's the best way to get an iPhone 7 then turn around and get an iPhone 8?

I should mention I'm not looking to switch carriers. I'm on an unlimited data plan.

Cheryl

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
California
I am a long time iPhone user. The last two rounds of iPhones (4 and 6), I've received via the 2 year contract program allowing me to get my phone for free. I only paid tax. I currently own an iPhone 6 outright. My two-year contract with AT&T expires this week.

My goal is figure out a way to get the best bang for my buck by getting the 7 while being able to get the 8 when it comes out next year.

I can't decide what my best option is:
-get the new iPhone 7 for free by trading in my 6 with a AT&T Next Plan. Then wait two years for the 8s in Sept 2018.
-buy a 7 outright then sell it when the 8 comes out. I'd keep my upgrade but then the only phone I would have to trade in would be my current 6. Which I don't think that phone will be an allowable option.
--Do the above and if AT&T doesn't allow my 6 for trade in, could I buy a iPhone 6s then trade it in? My upgrade would still be there.
-I don't want to buy a phone for $325 on the AT&T Every Yr plan. That's expensive. On that option you're always buying a phone.

What's the best way to get an iPhone 7 then turn around and get an iPhone 8?

I should mention I'm not looking to switch carriers. I'm on an unlimited data plan.

Cheryl
I would research possibly changing your plan and doing ATT Next instead. They still get the money form you with a 2 year contract. The only difference is that it is built into the cost of the plan. You may be able to save money on your monthly bill, get the new phone, and upgrade every year if you use ATT Next. Obviously upfront costs will depend on your credit and tenure with your carrier, but I'd check it out.

Curly797

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Orange County
It isn't "free" on a 2 year contract either. You're not looking at the total cost - is that $325 your upfront cost (downpayment, taxes, applecare, carrier activation fee)?

The $325 would be the cost of a AT&T Every Year, which isn't worth it.

Actually on a AT&T Next with a trade in (iPhone 6), an iPhone 7 32GB would be free pending sales tax ($50). I don't buy AppleCare and have no carrier activation fee as I use a corporate discount. Long as I keep for the phone for two years.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    227.3 KB · Views: 145

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
California

Actually on a AT&T Next with a trade in (iPhone 6), an iPhone 7 32GB would be free pending sales tax ($50). I don't buy AppleCare and have no carrier activation fee as I use a corporate discount. Long as I keep for the phone for two years.
Ok what on earth is that $325? Are you taking into account all 12 payment? Is it your downpayment? Is it the cost of taxes and applecare or something? What is it?

Also... That's nowhere near the MSRP of the phone, and you get to upgrade every year with turn in. It makes so much more sense :p.
[doublepost=1473785191][/doublepost]

Also if you want to upgrade after a single year, AT&T would most likely discontinue the credit you'd be receiving to make the iPhone 7 free, which would mean they would have essentially only paid you a total of about $325 for your existing iPhone.

Curly797

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Orange County
Ok what on earth is that $325? Are you taking into account all 12 payment? Is it your downpayment? Is it the cost of taxes and applecare or something? What is it?

Also... That's nowhere near the MSRP of the phone, and you get to upgrade every year with turn in. It makes so much more sense :p.
[doublepost=1473785191][/doublepost]
Also if you want to upgrade after a single year, AT&T would most likely discontinue the credit you'd be receiving to make the iPhone 7 free, which would mean they would have essentially only paid you a total of about $325 for your existing iPhone.

The $325 is the cost a person pays in monthly installments to get a new phone every year. It's the AT&T Every Year Plan. "After 12 payments" you can trade in your phone for NEWest phone. So basically on this plan type, you're always shelling out $27.05 plus taxes on your monthly bill.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
The $325 is the cost a person pays in monthly installments to get a new phone every year. It's the AT&T Every Year Plan. "After 12 payments" you can trade in your phone for NEWest phone. So basically on this plan type, you're always shelling out $27.05 plus taxes on your monthly bill.

$325 per year for an iPhone isn't that bad.

Let's use a 16GB 6s for example, it cost $649. Once you factor in taxes (if you live in a state that has sales tax) it moves that cost to around $700.

Now, let's say you want to sell it on swappa.com, here is what an unlocked 6s is going for: https://swappa.com/prices/apple-iphone-6s-a1633-unlocked

The lowest currently (at the time of my post) is $409 and the last sold was $415. Once you factor your time, the cost to ship it, then you spent more than $325 on the ownership of that iPhone for a year.

You're paying for the iPhone in one way or another. Up front costs or over time. Especially if you always want the newest iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.